fresh install os yet keep contacts and what not?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chickdigger802, Aug 19, 2010.

1. chickdigger802 macrumors regular

Just got my iphone 4 yesterday and restored a backup from my iphone 3g. Yet I think somethin wasn't right cuz the battery life drain was a little hefty (lost 3 % being idle while I took a shower).

So I'm thinking of doing a clean reinstall or if that doesn't work get another one from Apple.

But is there any way I can retain my contacts list somewhere and still do a clean re install (sync to something)?

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Sync your iPhone with your computer and then use the Restore option in iTunes to reinstall the iOS. Once this is done and the iPhone reboots, iTunes will prompt you to restore the contents of your iPhone from backup. The most recent backup should be selected by default but verify that the date is correct before proceeding. Once that's complete you will need to sync your applications back to the iPhone (the restore from backup syncs contacts, SMS, and other items). Then you should be set.