fresh install questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freshass, Dec 3, 2011.

1. freshass macrumors newbie

First of all, this is my first mac besides an iPad and an iPhone.
    I just picked up a macbook pro 13" 2011 and purchased a ocz ssd. When i reinstall osx lion onto the new hard drive, will iLife and all the other applications be there? or will i have to reinstall that manually?

i went through some tutorials and I'm pretty sure sure i'd be able to install it properly. but if there are any helpful hints out there, it be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

My MBP came with a Mac OS Install DVD, and an Applications Install DVD. So when you're done installing the OS on your SSD, pop in the Applications disc and go from there to re-install iLife.

3. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

All Macs released since Lion have Internet Recovery built in. They install the OS from Apple's server. Older models came with a set of disks.
    1. Physically install the drive.
    2. Push the power button. Press and hold the Command + R key combination.
    3. Install Lion from the Internet.

This link has the details, and also tells you how to get iLife back.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Your MacBook Pro probably didn't come with reinstall discs.

FIRST - Open up the Mac App Store while the original hard drive is still installed, if you have not already, to credit the iLife programs to your Apple ID.

Next what you need to do is:

1) Install new SSD
    2) Turn on computer and immediately press and hold Command and R keys.
    3) Wait for the installer to load from the internet
    4) Select Disk utility from the menu
    5) Once disk utility opens, find your SSD from the menu on the left side.
    6) Format the disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    7) Quit disk utility (File>quit)
    8) Select "Reinstall Mac OS Lion" from the Menu
    9) Follow on screen instructions and wait for the install to complete.
    10) Start Mac App store, sign in, and go to purchased, then download the iLife apps.

In case you're wondering why I was able to remember all this, I just did it last night (Installed new 256GB SSD)

5. CaleM3 macrumors member

I just did this today. I created a USB Recovery key by using Apple's Lion Recovery Assistant and then physically installed my new SSD and new RAM. I booted up my computer with the USB Recovery key in and held the "option" key. From there I went to disk utility and formatted my new SSD and then backed out of that and installed Lion fresh. You will have to go to the mac app store and go to purchased apps and you will see the iLife apps under there (You have to install from there). This was my first time going through any of this and infact is my first Mac, so I had no clue until I actually went through with it (this after reading tutorials/videos etc.)

Good Luck with everything!

6. freshass thread starter macrumors newbie

wow thanks for the responses, i guess there are other people in the same boat.

so to recap from what i read:

install the ssd
    reboot holding command+r
    disk utility-> format
    reinstall lion

go to mac appstore and reinstall iLife apps

can i assume that safari, calculator chess and all those other apps come pre installed with the os? or must i download them too?

thanks..

7. freshass thread starter macrumors newbie

also, i had installed iWorks, Office 11. is there a way i can transfer it over without reinstalling it again. i guess it doesn't make a big deal but if i can save some time it be great. I guess i can use time machine but i don't really want to use that daily. Is there a way i can just back it up once with TM and just use that single back up in case i mess the computer up?

8. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

If you had an external enclosure you could just use Carbon Copy Cloner (www.bombich.com) and clone your existing drive over.

Clone, shutdown, install SSD, reboot, DONE.

Enclosure would probably cost you $15, CCC is free.

9. freshass thread starter macrumors newbie

well the ocz was DOA, so i just ordered an intel 320 .. i was searching through the forums and was wondering if i should update the firmware before installing lion or can i do that after. Also, how would i go about doing this? thanks

10. iCody3 macrumors newbie

You just have to accept the license from the Mac App Store.