Fresh Install Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TubbyCow, Oct 19, 2007.

1. TubbyCow macrumors member

:confused:I am somewhat new to macs and will be purchasing leapord.
    I do not have much on my mac right now and have everything I need backed up..

Does it make sense to do a fresh install of the new OS? Is this pointless?
    If i do a fresh install what does it mean that I will have to reinstall iLife? Does this not come with leapord? Also does anyone know what happens to a program like lojack. Would I just be able to reinstall it? Is it still on there?

Thank you for any help you can provide:confused:

2. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Here is a support article on the various install options. If your system is in good shape any one should work. The least intrusive is the upgrade install. Next, archive & install. If you are all safely backed up on another disk you may want to choose the erase and install and start clean.

iLife does NOT come with retail OS install disks. You will not have to re-install if you do a "Upgrade install" or an "archive & install. So if your erase and install, use the disks that shipped with your computer to "restore bundled apps".

I don't know Lojack specifically but again, an Upgrade Install will leave everything in place. Some third party apps are preserved in an archive & install, some you may have to re-install.

-mj