Fresh Install: Removing iLife?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Badbaw, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Badbaw macrumors member

I'll be purchasing a new Mac next year, and I want to rid iLife from the OS, since I have absolutely no use for it. It's seems quite pointless to pop-in the install CDs at the initial boot-up and perform a custom install, and I don't want to have to manually search and delete all the files attached to iLife. Is there some other option?

I really don't want iLife!

2. simsaladimbamba

Since iLife is normally included on the second DVD, you can just forego that DVD. But with Lion that might be different.
    Or you could just remove the applications and the application support folders.
    No harm done.

Btw, in what way does iLife interfere with your computer use?

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If you are that determined to remove it then a fresh custom install is going to be your best bet.

We still don't know how it will work in the future because of the emergence of the Mac App Store, your new Mac might not even come with a disc (or USB drive) with OS X and iLife. We'll know a lot more about it once Lion is released so stay tuned for further details. :)

4. Badbaw thread starter macrumors member

It's not that it interferes with my computer use, it's that I have no use for it, and I could use that extra space. I'm pledged to Aperture and Final Cut Studio.

I could just remove the application and the supporting folders, but I would much prefer to wipe away every trace of the applications (and that extends beyond the preference plist.).

I would not forego the 2nd DVD because a custom install does the job. Also as you stated, we don't know how Lion will be implemented.

I guess I must ask this. When I buy a new Mac and I decide to do a custom install, how do I boot into the install screen before going through the setup screen? Is it as simple as inserting the DVD's?

5. Badbaw thread starter macrumors member

God I hope that's the case. Optical drive needs to go.

Even then, I'm still curious about my second question.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think so, I always do it when I buy a new Mac but it's been three years since I bought my iMac so I can't remember. It's a simple task anyway.

There is going to be a recovery partition with Lion so I would imagine you'll just have to boot from that rather than the DVD.

7. Badbaw thread starter macrumors member

Could anyone else verify what actually has to be done to boot into the install screen prior to mac setup? I can't find any article on it via google.

Surely you can't just insert the DVD and it will automatically go to the install screen?

8. simsaladimbamba

One presses the OPTION or C key during startup to boot from an optical and/or bootable medium. That is how I did it with Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I knew it was something simple. :D

10. Badbaw thread starter macrumors member