Fresh install - restore messages

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by surfologist87, Nov 27, 2014.

1. surfologist87, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014

surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I did a fresh 8.1 install, and I have a couple years of messages that are important to me that I would like to keep. I looked into it and found a great tutorial using ibackupbot to inject them into a backup so everything is fresh and you have all of your messages. Does this method still work for ios 8?
    I tried but couldn't get the backup to restore.miss could have done something wrong. Willing to try it again, just wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

While I'm at it, I am also looking to restore camera roll. About 2500 photos worth, and that seems to be tricky. Any ideas for how to go about that the easiest way?

I've done hours of research and tried Dropbox, Google drive, transferring using a Cell brite but nothing works properly. Im wondering if I should just pay for some more icloud and back up and restore pictures. I don't want to restore backup anymore because it's been backed up and restored for years on dozens of phones (I've switched around a lot) and jail broken multiple times. Time for something fresh.

Thank you so much in advance.

2. Imory macrumors 6502a

Regarding iMessage, why not use a backup by iCloud? That will be as fresh as it can get without setting the phone as completely new. As far as I know, iCloud will only backup the most essential personal data you have in terms of contacts, messages, mail etc (you can change it for your own needs).

Unless you use iTunes when backing up, the iCloud backup is pretty "lean". It won't save any corrupt data or cached storage, unless of course there's a problem you've encountered in iMessage.

3. surfologist87 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't think there is a way to restore imessages and sms, is that possible? I have about 4 gb worth of data in the messages app, and about 25 gb in the camera roll.

4. Imory macrumors 6502a

Oh I see. Well, iCloud will save your messages, but unless you've purchased more storage than the original plan, you'll only get 5 GB of cloud storage. That's too small for you. You could purchase more, but that is going to cost you.

Is there no way to sync/save the pictures to your PC/Mac and then use iTunes to sync it back? Unfortunately I don't really have any experience of iTunes anymore since I haven't had to use it for years (thank god).

5. wx4olf macrumors regular

wx4olf

I believe if you search this forum on the topic you should be able to find the specifics on how to do this with the messages. Basically you make an unencrypted backup of your old device, copy the messages database, backup the new device, copy the messages database to this backup, and then restore from this backup so that you have a "clean" restore with your old messages. You just need a piece of software that can browse iPhone backups and there are several of these programs around (I can't remember the one I used to do exactly this when we moved my wife from the 5 to the 6 last month).

----------

Just for clarification it appears what I described is similar to the link you referred to and yes it did work on iOS 8

6. rza49311 macrumors member

I used the rollit app to get pics transferred into new iPhone camera roll. Worked perfectly.

7. Imory macrumors 6502a

Doesn't sound too bad. Although I'd love to hear the differences between the completely "clean" install that you did and a simple backup from iCloud. I've heard that the the backup you do from iCloud is significantly smaller and more simplistic than the one you do from iTunes which is a complete backup of pretty much everything.

8. surfologist87 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I will give that a shot again. Glad to see it works on ios 8. I will have to sit down and reread all of the steps, i most likely just missed something.

I have never seen icloud back up messages, youre saying if you purchase a plan, say the 200 GB plan, it will do messages too? Thats pretty cool, because it is only $3.99 so maybe i can try it for a month and see. Because thatll do my pictures too.

I was also thinking of airdropping the photos a hundred or two at a time, lol.

9. Imory macrumors 6502a

Yeah! Here's what's included in an iCloud backup according to Apple.