fresh install snow leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hirui, Aug 26, 2009.

1. hirui macrumors newbie

Can we have a fresh/complete install of snow leopard without os x 10.5?? I have asked 2 staff through apple.com support, they both said you can only upgrade based on 10.5, is that true?

2. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

you can only upgrade if you buy the 29$ upgrade disk, if you get the box set *169$* you can install 10.6 directly

3. Yaris macrumors regular

You can but you will have to buy the full version of Snow Leopard with iLife and iWork for $169.

4. hirui thread starter macrumors newbie

single disk on 2 macs?

I got 2, a iMac and a MBP. Does it really matter to install them with a single license DVD?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, single license is for one Mac only. Apple doesn't ask for serial so it doesn't really matter but in worst case, they can inactivate your license so you'll lose it. If you're not ultimately low in cash, get family pack.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

We don't know yet if we have to have Leopard on the disk before installing SL. But I doubt we do since Apple checked whether you have Leopard pre-installed on your machine when you bought it before they let you purchase the upgrade disk for $29. They've already checked if you have Leopard. The Apple Support staff basically said "you need 10.5 to buy disk. that's all we know".

7. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Apparently you can go Disk Utility, delete the partition of leopard and install SL fresh.

8. Marcus263 macrumors regular

Is there an advantage to doing a Fresh Install, I know that you get a better feeling about your upgrade being clean, but other than that an upgrade surely puts you in the same position as a fresh-install. I mean it's not like upgrading from Win 98 to XP where a tonne of residue is left behind?

9. hirui thread starter macrumors newbie

It is feeling better also you can get rid the junk applications and the support files. I mean Apple really shouldn't charge for the upgrade, It is should be go through "Software Update..."

10. hirui thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure about that?

11. hirui thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard that iwork 09 doesn't have a serial number as well now. All the DVDs are the same I suppose, does Apple really be able to inactivate the license?

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No, he/she is talking rubbish. There is no activation in OS X, so it cannot be de-activated.