Fresh install to Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xcallibur, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Xcallibur, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Hi all, later this month when ML is released and the new MBP owners get their upgrade to the new OS, can it be freshly installed replacing all previous user content on the HDD?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It won't replace your user data, unless you choose to format your drive in the process.

Apple - Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion.

3. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Are you really running Vista? :eek:

4. Xcallibur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Arhh right, what is the usual format used?

Edit: I've checked, its usually Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Haha I am on my desktop, but I've a Macbook now, so OSX 10.7 it is!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not usually, it's always. The only format you can install Mac OS X on is HFS+.

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

6. Xcallibur thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Arh well I know now! You know when you click install from the app store for the new OS, will it restart the system and go from there?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the first link I posted:

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it works the same way Lion did (forum posts seem to indicate this is the case), then yes... it will begin the install and restart.

After the restart you can use Disk Utility to erase your drive and do a fresh install if you like.

9. nativetongue03 macrumors member

Okay...

It's july already. Where is my free Mountain Lion upgrade?:mad:

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

That's a joke, right?

11. Nozuka, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

Nozuka macrumors 68000

Another question related to this:

Scenario: I buy a Mac now, that comes with Lion and i'm allowed to upgrade to Mountain Lion for free.

If i use Internet Recovery, will it let me install Mountain Lion or is my Computer somehow flagged for Lion, because i bought it with Lion?

Or to ask in another way: How does the Internet Recovery feature know, which OSX Version to use?
    Will it ask for my Apple Account?

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If you install ML over Lion, then your computer will be running ML. I am not sure why you're talking about internet recovery, since the installer will create a hidden partition on your computer called the Recovery HD. The internet recovery feature is only used when your hard drive does not have a recovery partition (for example you've just put in a brand new hard drive into the computer).

Without getting technical, the internet recovery info is hidden in a magical place in your computer that you cannot normally access. When ML is installed, it will cast the right spell and ensure that your internet recovery knows that ML is now the boss.

Despite all that, I would highly recommend that you create a bootable usb version of mountain lion after you've downloaded the ML installer and before you actually install it. There are instructions how to do it here:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/17/make-bootable-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-usb-install-drive/

This is much easier and quicker to use if everything goes pete-tong one day.

13. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Mountain Lion may not be released this month. Word is Apple is pushing it back until late summer 2014 due to technical issues with the Lion not being able to "climb the mountain"...

Just kidding.

In answer to your question, it will be an Install over Lion and work just fine. Not since the System 7/System 8 days has Apple recommended a "Clean Install" for best performance. That was because of the INITs and Prefs files in the System folder presenting conflicts. Mac OS X is a totally different system based on UNIX and does not have these conflicts that older Mac systems had in the 1990s.

14. Nozuka macrumors 68000

I'm just wondering in case i ever need this feature. It would suck to have to install Lion first and then Upgrade to Mountain Lion again, just because it was shipped with Lion.

15. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If you follow the instructions I've posted, then you won't since you'll have a bootable Mountain Lion install disk on your USB stick.

----------

Yes, and no. Unfortunately updates can still cause weird issues, particularly the dock using 100% CPU bug. If your computer is running great now and isn't cluttered, then usually it's fairly safe to update over. If you have loads of kludge all over the place, then a clean install is a great idea. Sometimes it's good to make a clean break.

However, if you use a computer to make money, then I would rethink just updating. I would recommend creating a partition and installing your new OS there to see how stable it is and how it works for you before committing to it fully. I realise that this should be common sense...

16. Nozuka macrumors 68000

I have a very fast internet connection, so i prefer to not have an USB Stick (that i will likely loose somewhere in my mess) around just for that, when apple provides an online recovery. :p And i always wanted to try out this feature.

But thanks for the tip.

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Well then you have nothing to worry about since the internet recovery will be updated to match your current operating system.

18. nativetongue03, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

nativetongue03 macrumors member

They said JULY and my calendar says we're in JULY so yeah im dead serious

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are still 28 days left in July, so be patient. They said "Available in July" NOT "Available July 1".

20. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Yep, you will be download it in the Mac App store after you request your upgrade.

Then you can image it onto a USB drive, boot from that, wipe your entire system, and install Mountain Lion from scratch.

I currently have Lion on a USB drive which is what I use for reinstalling the OS.

Upgrades are always problematic and feel slower than they should.

21. Sairo macrumors regular

Sairo

So without all the extra info; ML will install without removing apps/data? I will be right back where I left my Mac?

No serials needed like à Windows pc?

22. nativetongue03 macrumors member

Yeah but damn it i want it now. If it wasnt gonna be ready July 1st say "mid" or "late july". Dont say July and have me biting my nails through out june anticipating the arrival of the first day within the "july" range. :(

been waiting for this since i got the new MBP

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I guess Apple forgot that their company business is supposed to revolve around your particular desires. :rolleyes:

24. lazer155 macrumors regular

Is the upgrade to ML free after its release? Say I buy a RMBP a week after ML comes out, do I still get a free copy and can I use that copy with my other macs?

25. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's free for any machine you purchase that doesn't come with it installed. Chances are, if you get one a week after, it will already have it installed, but if it doesn't, then yes, you would qualify for the free upgrade.

jW