Fresh Install vs. Time Machine Restore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtbiac, Jun 17, 2009.

1. mtbiac macrumors newbie

So I got a 17" uMBP pro the other day and to be honest, the machine isnt any quicker than my old 15", even though the new 17" is 300mhz faster (same RAM and HD speed). I got this machine for the larger so screen and am thrilled with the purchase, but I'm wondering if I had done a fresh install of OS X rather than restoring it to the same status as my old 15" via Time Machine restore from backup, would the new machine run faster?

thanks for advice

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

They'd likely be about the same. I would recommend using the Migration Assistant.

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Agreed. Probably about the same. But I don't think it will help because it's not the problem.

To be honest, 300 MHz doesn't usually reveal itself as a noticeable change... Are you doing things that require large processing power? Most people won't notice the difference unless they are running long processor-intensive jobs.

4. uv23 macrumors 6502

I would recommend the opposite. I've had bad experiences in the past, so this time I attached a firewire drive with my former machine's time machine backup and copied stuff over piecemeal. The new computer runs fresh and quick. I don't trust brute force migrations, especially with so many old application and developer bits floating around.

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I just installed all the updates my new MBP needed and then used migration assistant to transfer a backup from my Time Capsule. No problems so far. All my preferences and even things like Dashboard notes were left intact.