fresh install

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sphirexx, May 8, 2014.

1. sphirexx macrumors member

I just got a macbook pro and am now selling my white macbook its running 10.7.5 and I'm curious how to go about doing a clean install before I sell it. Im waiting on my SSD to get here but I'm ready to back everything up and do a clean install and get rid of the thing as soon as i find out how to go about this. I won't need a disc or anything will I?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

First go through the steps here to reauthorize everything.

Then do a command-r boot to the recovery partition. You will see this screen.

[​IMG]

Launch Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Utility and click reinstall OS at the top. You will be asked for the AppleID you used to purchase Lion. Then the 4.7GB OS will download and install.

When the install completes and it reboots you will be taken to a setup screen. Just power down at that point and you are all set.

The only downside to this is the new owner would not be able to reinstall Lion if they wanted to because they will not have your AppleID. They could solve that by buying Lion themselves.

3. sphirexx, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014

sphirexx thread starter macrumors member

Turns out there isnt a recovery partition on my macbook...now what?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... is the Macbook still running on Lion 10.7.5? If it is, just go to the App Store and redownload Lion then stop the install after the download. Now use this app with a 8GB USB key to make and installer. Then option key boot to the USB key and follow my previous instructions.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If this was a Mid-2010 Mac or later, and all updates were applied through Software Update.

Simply hold Command Opt R and you will boot to Internet Recovery. It will take a while to download the appropriate components.