Fresh Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by msindt19, Jul 7, 2011.

1. msindt19 macrumors member

msindt19

So I jailbroke my phone last night and got a few necessary apps. Everything was great then my phone bricked. I restored it and re-did everything and it seemed fine.

Had 88% battery when I fell asleep and woke up to a dead phone....Does a jailbroken iPhone use more juice then when its not jailbroken?

Upon seeing this I immediately plugged in my phone, hoping it wasn't bricked again. It turned on and the battery was at 61%....strange, why did it turn off?

On the way to work this morning, phone was at 85%, I was jamming to iTunes and then when my battery go to about 60% it shut down and got stuck on the apple logo. So I thought, this sucks, guess I have to restore it when I get off work. But I plugged it in and it turned on fine with the battery at 58%.

My question is, do jailbroken iPhones always auto shut down around 60% battery or is mine just special?

Thanks

2. Darwing macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just a special case don't know y IRS is doing that

3. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Yours is special lol! What jailbreak program you use?

NO, jailbroken phones do not quit at 60% or auto restart, Im sure you have a program you downloaded it doesnt like--what all did you put on it? there is a report that BiteSMS does not go well with jailbreakme (jailbreak)

You may have to delete one at a time or restore and redo the jailbreak without any apps and see if it acts weird and start adding 1 App at a time to see whos at fault

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

There have been some reported problems with the new jailbreakme.com. If it's really causing an inconvenience for you, use Redsn0w and just jailbreak again, over the current one. If that doesn't work, restore with iTunes and then jailbreak with Redsn0w. Redsn0w has never given me any issues.

5. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The culprit is BiteSMS!! It bricked my phone again! It double sucks cuz I'm at work and don't have my mac handy to restore AND I'm at work with NO iPhone! What am I supposed to do for the next 6 hours?!

I used jailbreakme.com so I'm assuming it's just the combo of that with BiteSMS. I'll check out redsn0w tonight when I get home and can re-restore my phone.

are there any other alternatives to BiteSMS that have the same capabilities that I can get when I re-jailbreak?

Thanks again.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yes, it is BiteSMS. There's been an entire dedicated thread to this since yesterday. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1182931&

I would stay tuned to that. :)

BiteSMS works flawlessly if you jailbreak with Redsn0w. :eek:

7. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

8. TC25 macrumors 68020

biteSMS has indicated they hope to have a fix out by mid-next week.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Awesome!

10. TheXFactor macrumors regular

Sorry to hijack your thread.

I did my first JB at the jbme site the other day. Everything seem to go somewhat ok I guess, but even before I loaded anything else besides cydia and winterboard I was getting random reboots and getting stuck with the apple logo and the frozen spinning sprocket wheel. It would just sit there, couldn't do anything with the phone. Eventually the phone would restart.

A few other times I would set the phone down and come back a while later to see the phone had shut off. Or, I would be in cydia installing an app and the phone would freeze. So, after a day or so of this I decided to do a restore and restore from a backup I had made.

My question is this. Is this normal type of behavior for a jailbroken phone or is there something going on with the way the phone was jailbroken (thru jbme.com).

I am tempted to do another jailbreak using Redsn0w ( I am running 4.2.8). I just started getting into some of the cool apps and stuff, but I don't need or want the headaches associated with a phone that doesn't work properly.

Suggestions?

11. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

I was having the same issues with jbme.com and am looking into redsn0w as well but I can't seem to find anything for 4.2.8. Everything is geared towards 4.3.3, 4.2.1 or 5.01b. I can't seem to find any info for 4.2.8 with Verizon.

12. TheXFactor macrumors regular

This is what I am looking at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqOFd3e0Kd4

If you look at the top left of the video, there is a link to do it an easier way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gVPrgZgNXc&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_936683

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I don't have a Verizon iPhone 4 but I read that Redsn0w RC18 will jailbreak it untethered.

Also, I found this.
    http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...d-and-ios-4.3.3-with-sn0wbreeze-2.7-tutorial/

14. TheXFactor macrumors regular

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Right on. I'm sure a google search will provide you with the Mac version of Redsn0w. ;)

16. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

I can confirm that redsnow (the latest version) will jailbreak 4.2.8 for verizon iphones (untethered). I was having issues with jailbreakme's jailbreak (random reboots, shutdowns etc, like you've all mentioned) and can say I've yet to have any of the above with the redsnow jailbreak. Give it a shot.

17. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Exactly. The untethered 4.2.8/4.3.3 Redsn0w jb has been out for a while and is very stable. It's a shame that there are actually people willing to sacrifice system stability just so they can have an easier, faster jailbreak. :p