Fresh Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Zac7, May 21, 2012.

1. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

Hey Guys,

I need some advice. I was jailbroken on 5.0.1 and my phone started to be slow so I decided to upgrade and live without a jailbreak. My phone has been fine since but with all the jailbreak news and new tweaks I want to give it another shot to see if my phone runs more stable. So the question is, do I jailbreak do a packge backup, restore, rejailbreak and upload my backup so that I am on a fresh install? Or is that unnecessary? I just want to ensure that I don't have any files remaining from previous jailbreaks that would cause it to be slow or laggy.

Thank you for any help that can be provided.

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I would recommend restoring via iTunes when you update, and setting up as a new iPhone. Once done, rejailbreak with the appropriate tool, and then manually re-install your App Store apps and Cydia apps/tweaks.

This will take a bit of time, but it will ensure that no files from the previous JB make their way over.

Also, keep a list of Cydia packages that you install along with the dates you install them, so that if you encounter a similar problem, you can have an easier time tracking down the problem package and uninstall it instead of having to go through the restore process again.

3. Zac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

When restoring as new phone, ill lose all my app data and settings? Is there a way to salvage that stuff?

Thanks!

4. Zac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it a good practice when installing a new jailbreak to always restore as new phone?

5. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Can this also be done (or is it not recommended)?

1) iTunes restore/update as a NEW iPhone
    2) install your APPLE STORE apps
    3) then JailBreak (after your iPhone is completely set up the way you want it)

It's the same steps just different order. Any harm in doing it this way?

6. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

I recommend backing up all data via iCloud, and restoring phone as new

And of course backing up your cydia packages

7. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Yes - that's what I do. I recommended setting up as new BC OP was having problems...

8. Zac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give it a shot once the new jailbreak is out.

9. derrick2005 macrumors regular

sorry to hijack. it seems that restoring from new for this new jb would be good for me too. I've installed quite a few Cydia apps though and they are backed up with xbackup. Does that keep a record of every tweak too and their settings? So that once I setup from new, install all app store apps, then jb, then downlaod xbackup, my phone on 5.1.1 will be like it is now?

10. Zac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually would like to know this as well. I could jailbreak first and backup the few apps I care about there data, then restore set up as new and restore apps one at a time. Could be a way to not lose all my apps data, right?

11. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

The only app data I care about is my game saved data. You can use appbackup (or whatever it's called that saves app data) or do it manually. Either way works but that app makes it super easy. Before I do anything, I open cydia and grab a pen and paper and list everything installed. Then I restore as new, sync iCloud (contacts and stuff), jailbreak, install app store apps, then either use that cydia app to restore the app data or if I ssh'ed into the phone and manually saved the files I'll copy them back to my newly jailbroken phone from my pc. Then I proceed to install my cydia tweaks and apps that I wrote down on a piece of paper one at a time. Since those are mostly tweaks, I just go in and set them up manually to my liking. I do this every time. It sounds like a lot but I have it down to a science and it doesn't take me very long. I usually install the cydia tweaks slowly over the course of days or weeks just to make sure they're compatible with the newly jailbroken firmware.

If anyone wants to try this method and has any questions feel free to ask. I've tried using pkgbackup and aptbackup but both of those have given me more problems than they did me any good. I assume it's because they install everything at once and not every tweak is ready for the new firmware. Either that or they were buggy. Many people swear by pkgbackup so give it a try! I prefer the way I do it now because it gives me much more control plus I can skip installing anything that I don't necessarily need. I think pkgbackup has the ability for the user to pick and choose what to restore. It's been a while since I've used it and I can't remember (maybe its time for me to give it another try!?). After each upgrade I find that I have certain tweaks I rarely use and as a result I don't install them.

Oh and one other thing. I have never tried xbackup or that other newer backup utility that uses iCloud (can't think of the name). Maybe if anyone has any opinion on those I'd like to hear!

Good luck everyone! I can't wait until the release! My new 4s hasn't been jailbroken yet since it came with 5.1. Should be a fun week!

12. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

^Most important part of this post!

13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Thanks zcherub. It's amazing how throughout the history of jailbreaking there are always some very important constants that users always need to be aware of when upgrading and jailbreaking to a brand new firmware that just came out.

But we both know sometime this weekend or next week someone will start a thread asking how to get out of a boot loop or repeated safe mode crashes. And the culprit will be an incompatible tweak that's not ready for 5.1.1! Haha!

14. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

No doubt! Hopefully a few of the folks that WOULD have had that happen come across your comment, though....

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Just throwing it out there, i'm jailbroken on 5.0.1 right now my plan is to restore through iTunes and update to 5.1.1. Then jailbreak, do an iCloud restore, and then manually add all of my Cydia packages. It's going to be time consuming, but worth it to be problem free.

Then again, I may just stay on 5.0.1. If it ain't broke don't fix it?