Fresh leopard install on macbook with broken dvd drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Souljas, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Souljas macrumors regular

Hi, I have a macbook with a broken DVD drive (one out of twenty problems I have had with this computer :rolleyes:), and was wondering if it is possible to install leopard without the internal DVD drive? I cannot really afford to replace the slot loading drive atm, nor buy an external usb drive.

Is it possible for me to connect my laptop to my friends iMac running 10.3, and using his computer as an external drive to install leopard?

any help would be appreciated, thx soul

2. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

no, not really, you need a dvd drive or some sort of external drive big enough to hold the ISO (did someone say ipod?)

3. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Outside of replacing your broken drive and external drive would be best. A firewire Sony external or what ever would be your best bet. I do not think that 10.3 supports what you are thinking of ... someone else may have better ideas... good luck.

Or you could burn the DVD to an external FireWire drive using your friends computer then connect the external drive to your Mac...

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Easy. Just find someone else with a mac and use SuperDuper to clone the install DVD to an external drive. Install from that drive and then keep the installer on that drive for later use.

5. seattle macrumors 6502

I think you can do it if the iMac has a DVD drive. I have used FireWire target disk mode to install tiger on an old eMac and it worked great. I am not sure what model MacBook you have and some do not have FireWire so it may not work.

How to use FireWire target disk mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661