Fresh Leopard Install on Old G4 Mini - Optimize for 512RAM

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ahheck01, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13057/428; U; en))

I'm doing a fresh install of Leopard on 1.2Ghz Mac Mini G4 with a massive 512mb RAM. Its slow as dog-dirt. I'm doing a fresh re-install - what are all the things I can do to optimize performance of a Leopard install on a SLOW powerpc? Disable dashboard, spaces, time machine, what else?

Thanks,

-Evan

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Any chance of upgrading the ram?
    As you noted, disabling some services will help. Open your Activity monitor in Utilities, and see what's running, and how much memory is being use. You may find a few things to turn off as it were.

3. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Upgrade RAM ASAP. 512MB is not anywhere near enough for Leopard to run optimally. You need at least 1GB. AT LEAST. That's for running one or two non-intensive programs at once. 2GB for running several programs at once. But then again, I remember PPC minis able to only run up to 1GB. So, you're pretty much out of luck to get to 2GB. :eek:

Tried running Leopard on my old PowerBook G4. Runs decently, as long as I don't run anything processor intensive. Otherwise, it runs butt slow. It even has 1.5GB.