fresh lion install on ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toastie, Jul 19, 2012.

1. toastie macrumors newbie

i have a mid 2010 mac book pro that originally shipped with leopard but that i have upgraded to lion and have ordered a samsung 830 ssd and have a few questions
    will the ssd fit straight in or do i need a fitting kit of some kind?
    how do i do a fresh install of lion to the ssd so i can just copy over the stuff i want later?
    i made a bootable thumb drive when i did the original upgrade but have no idea how to use it? or can i just put the ssd straight in the mac and turn it on and will it then download a fresh copy of lion from the net for me?

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Insert SSD - Should fit right in. Insert bootable Lion installer flash drive. Hold option on boot and select the flash drive. Once booted, format the SSD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using Disk Utility. When that finished, quit Disk Utility and run the Lion installer. I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube videos to help you through this process visually.

3. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

You just need to fit in your SSD into the HDD bay. That doesn't require any fitting extras. Otherwise if you want it as an aditional drive, this may help you:

Replacing HDD with SSD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv91m2z6DPY

HDD + SSD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2GPBJjUqvg

Use the bootable thumb drive after installing the ssd into your mac. There you will find everything you need. Remember to leave option pressed while your mac is booting up. It will show you the way.

There are tons of videos about this on YouTube. Good luck.

4. toastie thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent thanks for the replies guys just one thing a cant find the answer to at the moment is can I put it straight in or do I need to format it first so that my mac will recognise it?

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

If you boot from a flash drive, it doesn't matter if you have a hard drive installed at all. But you could do it either way if you have a method to connect the SSD externally.