Fresh Lion reinstall and reinstalling *some* apps

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by modestius, Nov 1, 2011.

1. modestius macrumors newbie

ok sooo...

I recently bought a used MacBook Pro (early-2011 model) with OS10.7 currently installed. The computer (purchased in July after Lion's release) no longer comes with system disks for fresh OS installs after formatting the hard drive. Since it wasnt my machine to begin with and has loads more crap than i want, i want a fresh start. Whats the best way to put the installer on a dvd or another drive so I can wipe the HD and re-install everything (including iLife, etc...)

To add to the situation, the previous owner had some apps that he kept on there that I would like to keep if possible. Namely, Office 2011 and CS5, both probably pirated. Is there any way to save these apps elsewhere and re-install them when I start again fresh?

Im having trouble finding resources on the internets for exactly my situation... Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you would have to have Lion in your purchased section of the App store to make a bootable dvd, you can make a USB recovery disk that would allow you to do a clean install

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1433

you might have the recovery partition already install on your hard drive to verify, restart when you hear the chime hold option and see if you see HD Recovery, if you have that than you won't need to make that usb key

3. modestius thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting... so how then do users install the OS when say upgrading their HD?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Use the link to make the recovery USB I'm only saying if yours is built in like some 2011 models you can skip that for now as it does the same thing

The USB key or he partition let's you do enough to run disk utilities to formatt the drive and gives you Internet access to download os x lion

5. modestius thread starter macrumors newbie