Fresh Opinions Needed-Mac Pro CPU/GPU Choices

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sylar Powers, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Sylar Powers macrumors newbie

Background check: I started out on a G4 Tower in art school, graduated to a early G5 Tower, hopped on the transition train with the first Intel White iMac, and now I think it's time to go back to towers again with the mac pro. I dislike laptops as main machines for lots of reasons, the glossy aluminum iMac screens killed that option for me, and there's no prosumer Mac in sight. Price be dammed-time to step up my Mac game.

But to say the Mac Pro isn't a stretch for the wallet would be a lie. The cheapest I would go is: Mac Pro Single 2.8GHz Quad Xeon CPU/ATI 2600 XT GPU/Airport Extreme N/Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse (later adding aftermarket RAM and hard drives). However, I kind of want the Nvidia 8800 GT GPU, and that second 2.8GHz Quad Xeon processor. But this raises my price from a reasonable $2,400.00 delivered (I get a discount) to a value questionable $3,100.00 delivered.

I'm dead set on loading up with 4 Western Digital 2-platter WD6400AAKS 640GB Hard Drives, grabbing a Viewsonic VP2650wb 26" widescreen LCD Display, hooking up Razer Mako 2.1 speakers, and turning my Mac Pro into my personal entertainment video server (I'm Mac only moving forward-no separate TVs and stereos. PS3 to HDMI-DVI Cable to Monitor!).

I will also use it for Final Cut Pro, video conversion, heavy dvd authoring, web design, Illustrator, Photoshop, and learning Maya, so the extra processor makes sense. I am also excited that Starcraft 2, and Call of Duty 4 are coming to Mac, as I am not putting up with a boot camped XP or Vista anymore (I'm currently Mac-less, saddled with an XP driven Dell Optiplex-it sucks). Though most of my gaming will be on my PS3, Call of Duty 4 and Starcraft 2 are best with a mouse. So the 8800GT makes sense.

Although someday I hope to make money with a Mac Pro, chances are it will not be on this machines life cycle. So one processor less may not matter right now. Or it could extend the life of my Mac, and make my current tasks easier. Yet, I'm still not sure if it's worth it yet.

Same on the 8800 GT. Not sure if it's worth it, gaming fun aside (and my PS3 can easily cover me there). I heard the 8800 GT is not as good as the stock 2600 XT for non gaming purposes. But I also heard that the 8800 GT is worth the money, and will improve pro programs that lean on the GPU. So which is it? Whats the best choice?

So begins my circle of logic. It's like I am trapped in a time loop. Help?

2. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

Wow...with all the things you plan to saddle with the Pro, why not go the 8800 route? I am glad I did. I love it. Best computer I have ever owned.

Of course, I do not know what the 2600 is like since I did not get it. I plan to do a lot of the things you are going to do so I went with the higher end card.

Enjoy!!!

3. Sylar Powers thread starter macrumors newbie

The 8800GT is worth it, I agree. But what about the 500 dollar second processor? I would really like to save that 500 dollars...

You know what? Screw it. I'm getting duel processors and the 8800GT. The wait will be longer, but ultimately worth it. It's just hard being Mac-Less!

4. revisionA macrumors 6502

You can't add a second processor later. The 500 is well spent to have a dual cpu machine, since you get an independent 1600mhz fsb for each cpu.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Dueling processors must be a CTO option I didn't see. Wouldn't that be counter productive?

6. GotPro macrumors 6502

Yes you can. Please don't state things that you don't know to be fact.

You can order the right processor from NewEgg and pop it right in. Of course, you will need to get a proper way to cool it...