Fresh OS X install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blangst1, May 28, 2015.

1. blangst1 macrumors newbie

Ok so if I purchase a used MacBook Pro and want to fresh install OS X can anyone give me any tips? Or walk me through the process?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

What year, what size, what version of OS X is it currently running?

Nobody can help you without that info.

3. blangst1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is a mid 2012 13" and Yosemite

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Boot while holding option(alt)-r. Go into disk utility and format Macintosh HD from there.

Once done, reinstall OS X as instructed.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Before you do anything, login to the App Store and "purchase" the free Yosemite OS under your AppleID. Then just stop the download once it begins.

Now do the command-r boot to get to recovery. From there use Disk Utility to erase the disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Utility an click reinstall OS X. You will be asked for the AppleID and password you used to purchase Yosemite earlier.

If you skip that first step in the App Store, when asked for the AppleID during the reinstall, you would not have one with a Yosemite download attached to it, and you will be sunk.

This will get you a clean install with nothing but the OS. If you have the iLife and iWorks apps on there, they will be gone and you can't get them back without buying them unless you already own them under your AppleID.

6. blangst1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have clarified. I'm going to buy ssd to put into computer

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK