Fresh Snow Leopard Installation & iPhone Backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bendy Walker, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Hey there guys,

I've just received a new external hard drive, and after backing everything up, I'm planning on formatting my iMac and installing a fresh copy of Snow Leopard on it.

However, I'm worried that I'm going to lose all app data on my iPhone if I do so. I've backed all my music and apps up, but the app data itself will be lost when I sync my iPhone to the iTunes on the fresh installation, won't it? Because it will think it's a new library?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I've been through this a few times. If you don't want to use any other program to help transfer the data this is basically what I do.

I copy back all the music back into iTunes. I transfer all purchases from iPhone back into iTunes. (option or right click the iPhone in iTunes) Then sync.

You will lose some app data but it will be pretty much the same stuff as you had before on the iPhone.

You'll just have to resetup your email etc.

3. Bendy Walker thread starter macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

What I'm concerned about losing most is app data relating to games. I don't want to lose the progress I've made on certain games, and I have a fear that may happen. Is there no sure way to backup app data?

4. Limey77 macrumors regular

If you''ve backed everything up to your external HD then your iPhone back up will be there too.

I don't see what the problem is.

Look into yourt back up here:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

and see what the last date of your iPhone back up is.