"Fresh system" = 27.8GB capacity with 11.3GB available?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AndyFL, Dec 17, 2007.

1. AndyFL macrumors regular

Just bought a reseller refurb'd iBook G4. Crack it open, looks like they've installed several nice apps on there (the entire Adobe suite, which I don't really need)....then I went to have a look at HD space.

Geez, does the system (and all these apps) really take up 16GB?! There are no movies, music, or photos to be found. Just 10.4.6 with a suite of Adobe software and Office '04. Screenshot of capacities:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Although its worth alot of money the Adobe Suite does take up quite a few gigs, if your not using it I would suggest deleting it.

Since its such a large suite I would suggest getting something like clean app to make sure it deletes absolutely everything if it doesnt have its own uninstaller!

4. AndyFL thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know, thanks acearchie.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Since you haven't even used the computer yet it may be to your advantage to erase, reformat and install OS X. This will ensure that you get all the hard drive space back you deserve.

6. AndyFL thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, that's what I ended up doing. Clean install yielded an available capacity of 23.3GB now. Much better.... Thanks!

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

If you haven't already, you can take it down even farther by removing all the printer drives and languages you don't need. That is usually another 2-4 gigs of info.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yeah - the default Mac OS X installer setting installs every printer driver in the history of the world, except the ones you need, and like 30 something languages you don't speak. Thats like several gigs right there.

9. AndyFL thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I did a custom install -- only installing the drivers and languages necessary. I think it's about as "bare" as it can get! Thanks again.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There's plenty hidden from the Finder as well that you're not counting.