Fresher stock online or in Apple store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rowr, Apr 25, 2007.

1. rowr macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a Macbook either online or in an Apple store based on the replies I get to this thread.

I need to buy a Macbook within the next 10 days. I'm going to buy the 2GHz model with 1GB memory and 80GB drive. I'll upgrade it as time goes by. I bought a mac mini in December 2005 and got the "silent" upgrade to the 1.5GHz G4 even though the online store clearly said 1.42GHz. I'm wondering if there is any benefit to buying the Macbook through the online store OR if I should just drive over to the nearby Apple store and buy it right there.

Is anyone aware of any hidden benefit to buying the Macbook online? I'd like to wait a while to see if the Macbook hardware is 'refreshed' in May but I will need to make the purchase before May 9.

thanks

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'd imagine the newest stock would come via the online store, though there probably isn't all that much in it. I prefer to buy online for BYO, but if you're getting a stock config then just pick one up in-store.

3. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I haven't seen anyone reporting that they got an upgrade that they were not expecting in a long time now. I guess the online store would have the newest stock and like Rowr said, if you want a built to order machine, I'd do it online.

As far as the free printer deal goes, you can get that either in the store or online.

I wonder when they will start the free iPod promo for students again this year...

4. c.joe.go macrumors regular

c.joe.go

having close friends with experience in apple retail, i can tell you that they get fresh stock very very frequently. apple's distribution system for their retail stores is incredibly fast.

if there is any delay, it is generally attributable to production delays.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, if your just getting stock, then like others have said, just go to the store. you'll get it faster.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah i think you should just go pick it up at the store specially since you are just getting it stock...

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you are just getting stock like the others said just go to the store. However, try going to a retailer other than the Apple Store for a more liberal return policy. Since most big electronics retailers are 30days no questions asked.

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Besides, a computer isn't milk or bananas. If it's a couple of weeks older, so what?