Freshly loaded OS, how do I sync my iphone without losing info?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by spinedoc77, Jan 1, 2011.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Did a search and didn't find anything specific to my query. I've got a iphone 4 and it normally syncs with my macbook Air. I had to reload my OS completely on the macbook and I was not able to backup my iphone's backup. Now I've run into this before where itunes will want to delete my music and contacts off of the iphone, is there any way to not have my stuff on the iphone deleted? I understand I cannot upload music, but I'd like to at least keep my contacts, pictures, calendar settings, etc.

2. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I think if you connect your iPhone to your Mac it will ask you if you want to sync the iPhone with your mac. It once happened to me but I don't really know what I did, it was 3 years ago with my iPod.

3. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

For some reason every time I've tried it I ended up erasing all my contacts, programs, music, pictures, etc. Maybe I'm missing a setting or something.

4. lawgraphix macrumors newbie

i don't believe there is any "apple" setting you are missing. I believe apple designed their devices so you can't copy your content to a computer. Best way is to find an app that would transfer your contacts and music and notes/ voicemails over. In your new itunes, authorize your computer by logging into itunes with your username and password. Then right click on your iphone and choose transfer purchases. That should copy all your apps and music that you bought from itunes store to your itunes. But any music not bought from itunes stores will need to be copied outside of itunes. Feel free to correct me guys if i'm wrong. i know senuti can copy music over to your hd from iphone. Also look up phoneview.

Correct me if i'm wrong guys. i'm also looking to do for a friend of mine.