Freshman in college...need a summer internship

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zblaxberg, Feb 2, 2008.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

So I'm a college freshman and I need an internship for the summer so I figure I'll start looking now. Anyone have some good ideas? I'm a media arts and design major with a background in photography, video, and computers. I'm looking for something in Baltimore, MD but if anyone has ideas or tips let me know.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Check with your advisor. Most departments have someone in them who deals specifically with internships, and they will help you find one and stuff.

However, it might be hard to get one considering you're only a freshman. Many are only for juniors and seniors.

3. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

4. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

I've been an marketing representative for a computer chip company, I think I'm a little bit overqualified for that job.

5. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Honestly, you need to talk with your college. You really shouldn't be posting on a message board. I'm in the same boat as you and just had an internship with my football team here at W.V.U. You gotta get out there and search high and low. I got lucky with mine, as it fit my career aspirations perfectly, but I'm still looking for another one. It's good you're looking as a freshman, even though some may not give you an internship until your Junior or Senior year. I'm currently in talks with Verizon and Time Warner about internships this Summer and hope they pan out. My advice to you is to make up a very very nice resume (career services at your school can help.)

Also, don't be snippy about your old job. You have the experience and that is great. I actually launched a website during my tenure at my old job (that paid me enough to think about not even coming to college) and it looks good on a resume, but don't act like you're too good for anything. Look everywhere and talk with friends and family who have good careers (it's not what you know, but who you know).

Baltimore is a great area. I'm sure you have plenty of companies that are based there that offer internships.

6. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I've found some really great stuff on Craigslist. I also have found some good opportunities by searching for companies in my area of interest in the area, and many of them post that they are looking for interns. Other times, I just email and offer. Good luck!

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

This is very true. That sort of attitude can really hurt your chances.

You are definitely best off focusing your energy at looking around in college. I doubt that many people here are going to know about internships in your area.

8. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

Sorry but I don't find Mcdonalds to be a funny answer. McDonalds is a sorry excuse for a restaurant and absolutely disgusting.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It may be a poor excuse for a restaurant but, at a management level, they do offer excellent training and a great sense of business management, dealing with people from all walks of life and making the books balance between service and wastage. I worked as a shift and local store marketing manager with them throughout my years at University over the summer. The experience helped me at interview towards the end and some of the lessons I learned there in training and dealing with people, I still use in my current managerial role.

Sure, the flipping burger side isn't a career but don't knock the entire company - although you're right, it wasn't the best answer in this thread. ;)

10. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

A lot of people go from working in McDonalds to having very successful business careers. I wouldn't want to eat there, but working in management is very good experience. Former employees include Andrew Card and Jeff Bezos along with many others including businesspeople, actors and sports stars.