Frickin Weird. Time Date settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eldiablojoe, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

So I shut down my computer earlier today for the first time in weeks. I restarted it and then left for a few hours for dinner.

I come home and I look at the last time MobileMe Sync and Time Machine did their things. They say they did them at 7:45. I look at the clock on my cable box and on my iPhone, both say 6:45.

Weird that the MacBook's time is wrong. I go into Time Date settings. I see that when the MacBook does the "Auto locate where you are so that we can set the appropriate time zone, etc. the MacBook things I'm in Rexford, Idaho.

I haven't been to Idaho in about 25 years, and my MacBook has been sitting in Southern Kalifornia for the last one year since I bought it.

I've tried to have the MacBook auto-locate again, and it keeps finding me us in Rexford, idaho.

WTF??

2. celticpride678

3. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Yes, but I have to go to manual on the time zones also. If I click on "automatically determine time zone" it takes me back to Idaho and resets my time based on Mountain Standard Time (I'm on the west coast- Pacific Time).

Weird.

4. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Ok, I was at the Apple Genius Bar yesterday, and among other things to address my frequent beachball concerns, the Genius repaired disk permissions and reset network settings.

I checked the automagic time/date/time zone settings, and it worked perfectly.

I get home, and the MacBook thinks I'm back in Rexford, Idaho again, throwing off my time zone and time. Argh!

I've already gone through the Finder's GO window to delete the localtime folder as indicated Here, but still not a solution.

Anyone have any other advice?

5. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Does your router have a time zone setting? I know the Airport Extreme does.

6. iceblade macrumors member

Theres no chance your ISP is somehow based out of Rexford, Idaho, is there? I mean, I'm not up on my geography, but that seems a bit far for an ISP to be providing you internet... Especially considering all the tech in California!

I ask, because websites used to think I am from a town 30 minutes down the road, and now that I changed ISPs, it thinks I am from a city 30 minutes down the road the other way. Of course, that is nothing as drastic as Southern California to Idaho.

Best of luck, keep us updated, hopefully it'll get fixed soon!

7. Eldiablojoe, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Hey Noodles, I have no idea if my router has time zone settings. It's a Netgear Rangemax-N, model WNR3500 v2.

IceBlade, I doubt seriously that my ISP thinks I'm in Idaho. I use Cox Communications. I'm in Southern California, which is about 2000 miles, and one time zone away from Idaho, lol.

When I was in the Apple Store the other day, the settings showed the exact city I was in. Confusing, lol!

8. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Since the time shows correctly when at the Apple store I suspect your router does have a time zone setting. Open the router configuration page and look for something like this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=266253&stc=1&d=1294157758

Attached Files:

9. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I logged into the router and checked it out. It does allow for time zone settings (which were correct at -8 GMT) and to permit DST (Daylight Savings Time). The router gets its time remotely from the internet. The time shown on the router admin site was correct.

The MacBook, however, is still an hour fast and still thinks I'm in Idaho.

Argh!