Fried 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zbradley1215, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Zbradley1215 macrumors newbie

i spilled a glass of water on my late 2008 mbp unibody. it sparked and sizzled and all of that. is there a hope to fix it? what could the possible solutions be?

it spilled on the keyboard and went all over the keys if that helps

2. simsaladimbamba

If it sparked and fizzled, there is probably not much hope, due to fried electronics.

You could however open the MBP via one of the many guides on iFixIt and see for yourself.
    If it is fried, then only replacing the logic board (and probably more maybe) can fix it.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not likely - sparks and sizzles are indicative of the laptop shorting out so the logic board is now most likely dead.

Sorry about it, but it looks like your only option is to buy a new laptop :(

5. spartacvs macrumors member

Another spilled liquid on my laptop post, this is why I don't ever have a liquid near my MPB. Sorry OP, but this might be your excuse to get a new computer. :)

6. Zbradley1215 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea thats what i thought, i had a new one 2 days after the incident but i was just wondering.

thanks for the opinions

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple's standard repair rate is $755 for a fried logic board, so I'd say the best solution now is to chop up the 2008 for parts to help offset the cost of your replacement. Alternatively, take out your hard drive and get a cheap enclosure so you have a backup drive for your new one. Incidentally, what did you get as a replacement? I'd consider investing in a keyboard cover, and also consider a personal articles policy from your homeowner/renter insurer. I have one (at $60/year) and it came in handy when I lost my MacBook Air last month (I used the proceeds plus $500 of my own money to get a rMBP). It also covers accidental damage.

8. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Mine was acting up (same MBP) and then I accidentally spilled water on it. I think it was subconscious.

I ended up getting a few hundred for the fried guy and I got myself a 15" rMBP :)

You should too.