Fried GPU/mobo?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tuneman07, Aug 7, 2012.

1. tuneman07 macrumors regular

The other night I spilled a vodka and tonic (regular tonic so pretty sugary) into the top of my home built computer. It sounds worse than it is as there wasn't much left maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons worth of liquid went directly into the top vent.

Liquid only landed on the top of the power source which is solid metal- nothing got inside, and on the back of the GPU (not the fan side) which is basically solid plastic so I patted it dry started the comp up (it was unplugged when this happened) and the screen was all messed up lots of strange colored squares the screen would go blank intermittently so I took the GPU out again and with a Q tip and windex carefully cleaned all the sugar residue from the gpu and it basically works except when I first load a graphic intensive program it will have funky squares for a minute or two then it will either go away or I will have to minimize then maximize and it will clear up.

The other issue is that the computer will freeze intermittently for anywhere from 3- 5 seconds then come back to normal.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Fairly safe to say that this is only a GPU issue.

I would try and clean it out again, must be some residue still in there. Or you could try getting it repaired.