Fried Hard Drive-Can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by josh098, May 4, 2010.

1. josh098 macrumors member

Hi. I have a 1TB, LaCie external hard drive (Neil Poulton design), that I fried by accidentally plugging into the wrong adapter. (I know, I'm an idiot) When plugged in, it just emits a low volume buzzing sound, and doesn't mount.
    Warranty wise, I'm screwed, so I decided to take her apart.
    (I swapped it with a working hd of the same model, and that one worked, so it is not the casing.)
    I read somewhere, another guy did the same thing, and replaced the burned out diode(?) and it worked again. I am not expirienced about taking apart electronics.
    I almost have the hard drive opened up all the way, save for one torx screw.
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips, before I proceed. I don't know of any other forums to ask in so hopefully someone will spot this.
    maybe even a link to a diagram with names to all the parts inside? (probably asking a lot)
    Anyhow, thanks in advance!!!!!!!

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

If you've taken it apart to the point where you can see the shiny platters, chances are you've already ruined it.

If not, and you can see the PCB board, then you might be able to locate anything blown on it. Trouble is, identifying what was blown.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you removed the platter from the spindle, you're screwed. It can't find the "0" point used as a reference, which is created during the low level format at the manufacturing facility.

You could opt for a data recovery service, but beware it's expensive.

As per DIY electronics repair, you'd have to know how to test a PCB out, and without a schematic, it's more difficult. And you'd need the necessary equipment. DMM and power source at a bare minimum.

Assuming it's just the board and you've not done anything with the internal mechanical parts, you can get an identical drive, and swap out the PCB. The platters have to be undamaged of course, but this is one of the tricks done by data recovery services to regain the data.

Good luck. :)