Fried Logic Board, Need to Clear HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HSCmatt, Jan 21, 2009.

1. HSCmatt macrumors newbie

Apparently my Macbook's logic board got some water damage over the summer and the computer stopped working. I've finally decided to just part out the computer since it's been taking up space for so long, but before I do that I need to know how to clear the hard drive (since I can't boot the computer) so that my personal data is protected.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You'll need to remove it and put it in an enclosure or a HD dock. That or put it into another MacBook. Once done, use Disk Utility to erase the drive.

3. HSCmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it removed. If I take the hdd to the Apple Store will they clear it for me? I don't want to take apart my MBP.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Not sure if the Genius Bar will do it for free or not. You'd have to call and ask.
    No enclosure or dock? How about a portable external that you can take apart and put that drive into?

5. HSCmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

No to all of the above. I'm sure these little 80gb drives can't sell for much anyway, maybe I'd be better off just keeping the drive and not worrying about wiping it. Or buying an enclosure and having some extra storage.

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

yea, your best bet is to get a 2.5" sata enclosure

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

I second getting an enclosure. This way when you pick up a new machine you still have your files that you can then transfer to the new system. Then you would be able to wipe it and use it for storage, or just keep it as a backup somewhere.