Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphacrust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Has Apple done anything to address the number of Mac Mini's that have suffered from fried logic boards ?

Just found out that my Intel Core 2 Duo (2GHz model) Mac Mini has been absolutely toasted inside due to a failed graphics chip, fan and various surrounding components.

My machine was barely 6 months out of it's 12 month warranty period. Surely this can't be acceptable ?!?

Is there any retribution to be had with Apple over this ?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Has Apple done anything to address the number of Mac Mini's that have suffered from fried logic boards ?

Just found out that my Intel Core 2 Duo (2GHz model) Mac Mini has been absolutely toasted inside due to a failed graphics chip, fan and various surrounding components.

My machine was barely 6 months out of it's 12 month warranty period. Surely this can't be acceptable ?!?

Is there any retribution to be had with Apple over this ?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

This is the first I've ever heard of this issue. I'm sure you can ship it to Apple Care.

Ered

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
I had the same issue at about 11 months. It seem to be a popular issue due to the fact they had spare boards at the apple store and fixed it on site in a day or two. :confused:

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
imo, the default fan speeds on all macs are too low. all that quietness comes with a price... more heat, which leads to quicker component failure. that's why so many macs work perferctly fine the first year or so then start breaking down 18-24 months after.

if your mac is between 1-2 years old, your best bet is to check with your credit card company to see if they double the original manufacturer's warranty. both my amex and visa cards do that.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
imo, the default fan speeds on all macs are too low. all that quietness comes with a price... more heat, which leads to quicker component failure.

Indeed. I always recommend the Fan Control preference pane. It's simple - just set the minimum speed, and two thresholds. You can still have an inaudible or nearly inaudible computer, but still keep temps 5F to 10F lower than the default settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.