Fried MBA Options?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xeroze, May 20, 2012.

1. Xeroze macrumors newbie

My old man recently poured a cup of tea over his 2010, eleven inch MBA, and he's fried it. He's dried it, and taken it in to be repaired and was told it was kaput, so he went and bought another one. Now, the original has been floating around the house for a couple of months, and it seems such a waste to have it just sat there.

I've done a little bit of research and from what i gather, it's pretty much beyond repair. It's definitely dry as it will ever be now, though i don't know if it's been cleaned internally or if the guys at apple took one look inside and gave it up as a lost cause. It doesn't charge when plugged in, it's pretty much a good-looking lump.

Now, Dad doesn't mind what i do with it, so far as he's concerned it's irrelevant now he's got a new one to play with, but there must be something i can do with it? I already have a MBP myself, so i don't need another laptop (though it wouldn't hurt to have something this portable for travelling for work) but if any of you wonderful people have suggestions that i can go about to make it useable again, or if not whether i should pull it apart and sell the pieces, or just sell the whole thing as broken, and again if so how much should i look to charge, and where? Much obliged.

Cheers,

Xeroze.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Yeah, you can make it work for probably more money than it would cost to replace. You are looking at (at the least): new motherboard, battery, DC in board, and potentially new SSD. As well as potentially a new keyboard and trackpad depending on how bad the spill damage was.

Cheers

3. AppleNewton, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012

AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Bring it to Apple or AASP, if I recall they offer a flat-rate depot repair service depending on the issues and will repair all issues.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Remember though, it is a 2010 11" Macbook Air? Is it really worth investing 700+ just to revive it? Unless it was a maxed out 11", it isn't. Heck a base 2010 11" MBA can be picked up for $700 on the Apple Refurb site periodically.

Best bet, sell it broken on Ebay and see what you get for it. What size SSD does it have? If it has more than the 64GB, you might get someone to buy it just to upgrade theirs...

5. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

I had a 15" MBP 2010 out of warranty, damaged display, damaged trackpad, swollen battery and logicboard issues (all stated by the genius that looked at it) and for $379 fixed all of it. i was out of a machine for over a week but was worth it. So YMMV but in experience thats what their mail off service is for.