Friend Charged with Retail Theft

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Squilly, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I'm still shaking. My friend was charged with retail theft at Kmart. Cops came and everything. I worked at another store so I knew exactly what was going on but someone from LP went to talk to me. Thankfully, I was free to go, even though, by law, they're supposed to take me in with him. He was arrested. Cops come to talk to me and ask for my drivers license. They record my name and DL#. That's the only thing I'm worried about. Is it normal? Am I okay? Really worried.

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

As long as your friend doesn't point a finger at you you'll be fine. I hope you didn't know anything about it.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If they question you, they'll always ask for identification information. It's just the way they do things. They called me twice (and asked if they could call again) at like 10PM before because of an incident where I had to explain what was going on. Don't get so freaked out about it, they're just trying to be organized in their notes. They aren't going to accuse you of anything, haha.

4. thekingofnerds, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

thekingofnerds macrumors regular

Not sure why you'd think that? Really doubt there's a law in your area that says friends of a suspect must be brought in. Unless your town has some really wacked-out laws :D

They were probably just looking for possible accomplices but realized you were working elsewhere at the time.

Doubt you have much to worry about - Cops take down names and DL#s for anything.

I once reported a neighbor for noise violations and the cop still wanted my name and DL#. (long story short, these idiots were partying so hard at 4am on a tuesday my roof was shaking...)

P.S. Just don't leave town ;)

5. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

He told me he was gonna do it, had a feeling he was going to do it, but didn't think he'd carry it out. Next thing you know, I'm on the phone and the LP manager asks me to go talk to him.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Squilly, were you trying another one of those get rich quick schemes?

8. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

What did he steal anyway? Not many great items in Kmart to buy in the first place.

Since it's not that big of a theft you'll be fine, they're not going to investigate too deeply.

9. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

So what? If you didnt do anything then calm down dude..

Besides there are cameras, which they'll probably check to see how it went down.

If he did it, then thats his un fortunate problem. Just because you were there doesn't mean your an accomplice.

BUT the fact that you wrote online that he told you he was gonna do it.. is evidence that you knew about it prior too.. yet I highly doubt they are gonna look up your mac rumors account.. but if he wanted to be a jerk about it he may bring it up and drag you in.

10. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Hi. Been missing you. But no.
    Some DVD's, total value $60
    The LP guy thought I was a watcher/lookout. Thought that would be a problem. Also, he got fingerprinted but he gets it expunged in 4 months when he turns 18.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

DVDs are a dying technology. You'd probably get better returns stealing something else. :p Okay, I'm done giving you a hard time.

Unfortunately, someone may decide to come down on you and make your life hard. There are plenty of small-time law enforcement folks who don't necessarily care for the fine details or are somewhat over zealous. They might not believe you; I might not believe you. Good luck buddy.

Perhaps next time you will choose to either turn your friend on suspicion of stealing, or at the very least choose to remove yourself from the situation ASAP. I realize the first option wouldn't be easy or desirable, but honestly I don't see why you'd risk a police encounter instead of ditching your friend.

I say this since you seem remarkably concerned by others' interest in you and by the possibility of getting in trouble.

12. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

True. I did try to get out of the situation. Didn't even know he did it to be honest. Didn't look like he did walking out till the LP associate contacted me.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Time to ditch this friend. His stupidity could have gotten you into trouble as well.

14. psun786 macrumors member

I would tell the LP not to call ever again or its harassment. Why would you give him your name and contact info anyways? You know that LP has no authority to stop you from walking out the store if the stolen merchandise is not on you right? If they tried to detain you by force, find yourself a decent lawyer and you will get millions :p

In order to establish the crime. They have to see you conceal the property, walk out without pay, and then find the stolen property on you. There is no case if any of the above is missing.

15. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

LP didn't take my contact information, the police did. And all of that happened.

16. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Incredibly stupid. Too bad he doesn't know about Internet "retail theft."

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Not sure when he told you he was going to do this but if my friend told me he was going to steal some DVD's at K-Mart I would tell him he's stupid and I wouldn't even go to the store with him. Hopefully a lesson learned.

18. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What's LP? :confused:

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Loss Prevention Manager. Part of store security...goes after shoplifters and employee theft and pilferage.

20. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

DVDs? Standard definition!!

google "Torrents"

problem solved.. for now!

21. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

AKA: People you don't mess with. Some of them are former military (Target loves those guys), and go through training to perform lawful citizen's arrests.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Just tell them that you had been downloading so many that you forgot they weren't free.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Or you could.. ya know.. not steal from a store.

Especially dvds of all things.. you know you can find that online for free in some places (can't talk about that here) or rent them from iTunes/onDemand/Stream from Netflix for way cheap.

Hopefully your friend learned his lesson. If not, you need to ditch this kid and find some more intelligent friends.

24. TedM macrumors 6502

pretty sure you could of just pirated those dvds with almost no repercussions :/