Friend Had Jailbroken iPhone Replaced by Apple Genius

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by c2006, Aug 8, 2010.

1. c2006 macrumors member

One of my friends was having the persistent SMS not found problem (even before he jailbroke his device) and decided to go to the Apple Store not knowing that he wasn't really supposed to jailbreak it - the Apple Genius made no mention of it, and replaced the device because of the problem.

Do you think the employee didn't notice or are they ignoring it now? Sorry if this is old news.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This has been known to happen, especially if the problem was clearly unrelated to jailbreaking. Either the genius didn't notice, or was nice and looked the other way. It's really up to the individual genius you get, though, so you never know what will happen if you walk in to an Apple store and ask them to fix/replace a jailbroken phone.

3. almostaskater62 macrumors regular

i had an original iphone replaced that was previously jailbroken, i had restored it though. it was giving the "this device not made for iphone" warning incessantly, and i'm like 90% sure it was due to water damage, so he shouldn't have replaced it for two reasons.
    another time i went in for i dont remember what with a (currently) jailbroken 3gs that had the tell-tale "3g" at the top (but NO att logo)
    i hid cydia a couple pages deep, and he didn't notice either sign. so yeah it just depends.

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

It's happened to me a couple of times over the years. Like mentioned, it's all up to the individual.

I was so nervous the first time when I handed over my primordial iPhone to a genius and realized when he slid to unlock that I forgot to restore. He didn't say a thing.

Your mileage definitely may vary.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I stopped by a apple store with my old jailbroken 3G to get it checked because the chrome bezel was separating from phone. I could not restore because my comp was not working at the time. I told them it was jailbroken but the genius still replaced because the it had nothing to do with the bezel separation.