Friend Has Challenged Me To a Laptop Duel

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
1,166
3
So my friend got a new Dell the past week and is bragging how his computer is better than my iBook, blah blah blah. He said he's going to have me over at his house one day to show me "how much better Dell is." I know all I have to say is, "Look. No viruses or spyware. Nothing running in the background," But I want something to just like stun him to death. Here's what his specs are, copied and pasted straight:

T2400 - 2.00gHz processor (dual)
100GB - Hard Drive
1GB - Memory
256MB ATI mobility radeon X 1400 Hypermemory - video card (i don't know what the heck some of that means but i think that it is really good!

He paid $2400 for it. I have a stock iBook G4, 512MB, 40GB, 1.33GHz. Any like, amazing programs I could show him and have him bow down?

Thanks guys. Look forward to seeing the look of defeat on his face. :D
 

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
1,009
0
zflauaus said:
So my friend got a new Dell the past week and is bragging how his computer is better than my iBook, blah blah blah. He said he's going to have me over at his house one day to show me "how much better Dell is." I know all I have to say is, "Look. No viruses or spyware. Nothing running in the background," But I want something to just like stun him to death. Here's what his specs are, copied and pasted straight:

T2400 - 2.00gHz processor (dual)
100GB - Hard Drive
1GB - Memory
256MB ATI mobility radeon X 1400 Hypermemory - video card (i don't know what the heck some of that means but i think that it is really good!

He paid $2400 for it. I have a stock iBook G4, 512MB, 40GB, 1.33GHz. Any like, amazing programs I could show him and have him bow down?

Thanks guys. Look forward to seeing the look of defeat on his face. :D
While your iBook won't hold a torch to that Dell, the $2499 MacBook Pro is a better system than his Dell for only slightly more.
 

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
1,569
6
Vancouver
Spec wise his is better
user friendlyness and general goodness the iBook is better

one suggestion would be to go to adult enterntainment sites and see who can download and play the movie clips the fastest with out getting a virus and tons of pop up and spyware...

Photoshop could work too...
oh rip a cd in itunes...:cool:
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
celebrian23 said:
Ah that's cute. A geek battle-off ;)
For some reason the vision of a group of geeks in D&D garb, throwing balls at each other and yelling "Fireball ... fireball" keeps flashing by. :eek:
 

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
1,166
3
I have never played D&D, just so you know.

Well, he has me defeated in specs. I knew that from the beginning. Never mind.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,910
41
Andover, MA
Leareth said:
oh rip a cd in itunes...:cool:
Um... the Dell'll do that too.

zflauaus: the Dell will blow your iBook away. Sorry, but it will not even be close. Of course, he's comparing a computer that cost well over twice as much, with twice the RAM, etc. But, still, there will be no close calls. He will win decidedly.

OS X rules, of course, but not in any way he'll accept.

However, I'd pit my MBP against his Dell any day.
 

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
1,166
3
jsw said:
Um... the Dell'll do that too.

zflauaus: the Dell will blow your iBook away. Sorry, but it will not even be close. Of course, he's comparing a computer that cost well over twice as much, with twice the RAM, etc. But, still, there will be no close calls. He will win decidedly.

OS X rules, of course, but not in any way he'll accept.

However, I'd pit my MBP against his Dell any day.
Yeah I know. Let's just say this is over and call it a day.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,910
41
Andover, MA
zflauaus said:
Yeah I know. Let's just say this is over and call it a day.
Well, as mentioned, it's hardly a fair fight.

However, if he wants to pit XP vs Tiger, we can provide tips.
 

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
1,583
1
California
I like the virus/spyware idea.

But just for kicks, both of you could try opening all the programs on your computer at once and see whose computer recovers better afterwards.
 

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
4,940
0
Dress Rosa
After G said:
I like the virus/spyware idea.

But just for kicks, both of you could try opening all the programs on your computer at once and see whose computer recovers better afterwards.
do that.
 

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
1,053
0
Portland
I'd go with the guy who suggested pron (or pr0n if you are REALLY cool).

He totally beats you (pwn3z?) you in terms of specs, but go surf the same sketchy adult websites and watch his brand new baby crash and burn. Oh, and use safari and force him to use I.E (default browsers to be fair!). In the best case scenario he won't even try because he is so scared of viruses. That would show him...
 

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
1,166
3
jsw said:
Well, as mentioned, it's hardly a fair fight.

However, if he wants to pit XP vs Tiger, we can provide tips.
OH! That's what I meant to say at the beginning. I knew his machine would spank mine performance wise, but let's do an OS battle. I already know I should show him Dashboard, Expose. Any other tips? Send them!
 

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
5,730
0
NYC
Connect both computers up to the internet and remove all firewalls, virus barriers and other protections. Let them sit overnight.

Check them in the morning.
 

seabass069

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
226
0
Stomp your foot on his Dell a few times and then show him all the porn you can download on your ibook without viruses. I'll bet you win!!!
 

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
1,166
3
To all the pr0n suggestors out there: I'm 14 and so is my friend. I don't think that idea would go over so well. :p Nice try though.
 

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
14,910
2,480
St. Louis, MO
zflauaus said:
To all the pr0n suggestors out there: I'm 14 and so is my friend. I don't think that idea would go over so well. :p Nice try though.

Pfft....my age never stopped me from downloading porn when I was 14.... :D
 

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
1,053
0
Portland
zflauaus said:
To all the pr0n suggestors out there: I'm 14 and so is my friend. I don't think that idea would go over so well. :p Nice try though.

You are 14 and don't look at porn :eek: ?!1one!!eleven!?

Maybe I was just weired...