Friend in High School wants Logic Studio?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nylock10, Jan 9, 2008.

1. nylock10 macrumors regular

I have a friend who will be replacing a few seniors at his High School job of doing $5 sound recording jobs for students' bands.

The school apparently has recording "hardware", but I can't imagine it'd be that good considering they are very low on money after blowing it all on a nice building.

The seniors recommended my friend get Logic Studio and that it didn't matter where he got it or if it was downloaded, since he told him I knew a lot about "downloading programs" (I bet you know what I mean :eek:).

I thought it was absurd the seniors would recommend a kid get Logic Studio, who wouldn't know how to use it (I don't even think the seniors know how to use it). After-all, don't you need a college degree in audio engineering to fully-understand how it works?

I'm trying to get him to just use Garageband and then graduate to Logic Express after a while, but he keeps insisting to get the "best software" because he "heard" it was really good (which I can't argue with, Logic seems to be great software if you have the studio and know what your doing).

2. 119576 Guest

It's cheap with student discount.

It's easy to use.

It's powerful.

Tell him to buy it.

3. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Logic Studio or Logic Express?

I think I over-reacted a bit though, sorry for such a whiny thread lol

4. 119576 Guest

You should be honoured that I actually read it all ;)

I think if he wants Logic Studio; he should go for it.

Express would do him fine; but IIRC, Studio isn't much more expensive.

5. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for reading the whole thing, I just shorten it a bit realizing I had to scroll down to read the rest lol

I just saw it's only $499, I was thinking it was $1,299 but that was actually Final Cut.

But will the software run smoothly on just a MacBook? I know it isn't intense video rendering, and he does have a pretty good MacBook (2.2GHz, 2GB of RAM).

I'm just concerned if it will come into practical use.

6. 119576 Guest

It will run well on that machine.

The decision to buy Studio or Express over here is a no-brainer. Studio is £118 with student discount, express is £129 or something absurd like that. Haha.

7. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Apple has high school discounts, or would this be on some sort of academic store?

8. 119576 Guest

Ah, it's on the University store.

Still; like I said, Express will do him fine for what he wants. He isn't doing any professional high-quality mastering or anything. Garageband is severely underpowered for any sort of mixing; and like you said, Studio may be overkill for him, but if he's going to invest - he might as well do it properly.