Friend "modded" my macbook pro.. need help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PolarBear17, Dec 23, 2010.

1. PolarBear17 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    For my birthday, my friend decided to take it upon himself to "mod" my macbook pro so that it had a black toolbar up top and the menubar down below is black while the icons that say "safari" and "File", etc. are all white, thinking I would like it.
    Unfortunately, I hate this new setup, and I have no idea how to get it to go back to normal!

Here's my problem. I bought my laptop using original leopard, and upgraded to snow leopard. Unfortunately, I no longer have the snow leopard CD (my brother took it to college and lost it!) so I only have my original OS 10.5.6 cd. Is there a way to just restore my menus back to normal without deleting everything? I would prefer not to lose my files or my new microsoft office I got (Since my brother also lost that CD, and I therefore wouldn't be able to put it back onto my laptop)

Please help me out here! I just want the original menus back!

2. laser71 macrumors regular

Can't you just ask him to revert his changes? Kind of like returning his "gift"...

3. PolarBear17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem number 2: I no longer talk to the kid, or else I would. I tried to get him to change it back and he won't call me back. I'm not experienced with computers, but if someone could tell me what to do, I'm sure i could figure out how to change it back!

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Can you take a ss so we can see all thats been changed?

5. PolarBear17, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010

PolarBear17 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

As you can see, he changed the top menu bar to black and changed most of the file things to white, while the bottom bar is also black.

Is there any hope?

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

7. PolarBear17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion!
    I thought about that, but I downloaded my new Microsoft Office AND maybe even snow leopard after the "mod" was made, so would I also lose all of these new programs by using time machine?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your "friend" used Magnifique and installed the "Black Mac OS X" theme. Search your Applications folder for the app and use it to uninstall the theme. If you can't find it, you'll have to redownload the app. Also, a restart may be required to completely remove the theme.

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I cant see the picture because its too big for my dialup...but try this.

Hold Control-Option-Command and press the number 8

10. PolarBear17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion!
    I can't seem to find the app, but am afraid he didn't use it.
    I feel as though he used something such as this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWWqKLti8eg

I did have IStats menu downloaded (like the video shows) so I removed IStat Menu and it did nothing to fix my toolbars. Is it still Magnifique?

Thanks again!

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The screen colours aren't inverted. That won't do anything I'm afraid.

I'm very sure he used Magnifique, see:

Attached Files:

12. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Well you don't have to worry about Snow Leopard because you can't download it, you can only update it via downloads and those are easy to re-download.

If you want to preserve MS Office then create a bootable clone of your current system using Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner on an external HD. DO NOT use your TM drive for doing this, this is dangerous and foolish.

Then do the restore from Time Machine using the link I already provided. After that is done you can use Migration Assistant and restore only the applications from your Clone that way you will be able to preserve MS Office.

13. PolarBear17, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

I'm not trying to be stubborn, I'm just being thorough.
    Here's some of the files he used (still in my downloads). I feel like if he used magnifique, although I have never heard of it, it wouldn't have required so many downloads, or am I very much so incorrect?

14. PolarBear17, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

Sorry, the picture wouldn't show.. here it is!

P.S. the magnifique download was me, it wasn't originally there. I just downloaded it.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm guessing you just downloaded Magnifique. Are you able to see the web history from about the time when the friend was messing with the Mac? And what are the full names of those files he downloaded.

16. PolarBear17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the triple post!

If found a "readme" file of what he did if it helps!

"1. Download the Menubar files from this link
    2. Browse to /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.Framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HLToolbox.Framework/Versions/A/Resources and make a backup of the Extras2.rsrc file
    3. Browse to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.Framework/Versions/A/Resources and make a backup of Sartfile.bin
    4. Replace Extras2.rsrc with the one provided in the folder and do the same with Sartfile.bin (may need to delete and then paste the new files in the folders)
    5. Extract the folder 'White Menubar Icons' and inside you will see a list of files all ending in .menu
    6. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and backup all the .menu files in this directory
    7. Replace all the files in /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras with the newer ones we extracted
    8. For Spotlight icon navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.Bundle and right click on that selecting 'Show Package Contents'
    9. Go into the resources folder and replaces MSSearchMenuIcon.pdf with the one located in the 'Spotlight White Menubar Icon' Folder
    10. Reboot and you should have a working black menubar as shown in the picture. If it is still white, Right Click On Desktop>Change Desktop Background> and tick/untick Translucent Menu Bar.
    11. IStatMenus for the custom clock with white text

Enjoy. Remember to make backups of all the files and I am not responsible if your snow leopard breaks because their is always a chance of this happening if you do something wrong. Sometime in the near future I will mod some sleeker menubar icons to make them white.t"

Then, I found a backups folder containing
    [​IMG]

Does this help anyone help me?!

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Basically, all you need to do is go through the read me and put the backups back where they belong.

18. PolarBear17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help so far! You are all awesome!

It's as simple as that?
    Should I start at the last step and work backward then?

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'd start with the first one and make a new backup in a folder on your Desktop. And if you get stuck, post here.

20. PolarBear17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good!
    And excuse my ignorance, but how do I make a new backup folder?

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Click your Desktop in a blank area, go to the File menu bar, click New Folder. Give it a name like "Black backup". Then to backup the files just click and drag from the Finder window into the Black Backup folder on the Desktop. Now remember, you want to put the files from the Backup folder that your friend made into their proper places. Not the ones in the same folder as the Read Me.

22. PolarBear17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect! And I want to be backing up the backup files he already gave me, correct? Not the files that I'm attempting to change?

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You are wanting to backup the files you are wanting to change.

24. PolarBear17, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010

Alright! Done!
    Does this look alright like normal? (With the exception of the bottom menu bar, but I'm not quite sure how to change that one!)

[​IMG]

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Everything looks like it should. Does the Dock background at the bottom bother you being black?