Friend says Apple is only company to outlaw different programming languages, true?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Doju, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Is this true? Surely some other platforms must disallow some languages for the app to be created in?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What language has apple outlawed?

I can use objective-c, java, php, perl, etc, to develop apps for the mac.

4. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I think he's referring to the Adobe product that allows Flash to be cross-compiled for iPhone.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Flash is what has been banned in the iphone 4.0 SDK agreement

I personally do not agree with this move by Apple but that's another thread

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I am pretty sure you can't write games for the Xbox 360 in LISP.

Just some food for thought...

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I'm pretty thure, too.

8. bminata macrumors newbie

But if you can, you are ALLOWED to.

OTOH... on some systems :):wink::) you are NOT ALLOWED to write in anything other than some certain programming languages :):wink wink::,) even if you CAN.

:p

9. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

I would say "prohibited", not "outlawed", at least; not until the Sheriff shows up on his horse waving a wanted poster.

10. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

He makes the argument that Apple is afraid of cross-platform tools because those toolmakers could end up with the power to withhold support. His core argument is this one:

"Consider a world where some other company’s cross-platform toolkit proved wildly popular. Then Apple releases major new features to iPhone OS, and that other company’s toolkit is slow to adopt them. At that point, it’s the other company that controls when third-party apps can make use of these features."

Correction:

At that point, the other company controls when apps that USE their toolkit can have those features. It doesn't affect anyone using other tools. All it can do is make their tool less popular that those that do get updated.

For example, when Apple added the compass. If a toolkit doesn't support it and a developer needs that support, he'll find another toolkit that does.

So DF's argument (and supposedly Steve's) is that Apple is afraid of other tools being more popular than theirs. One good answer to that, is to make better tools, not ban others.

Apple likes misdirection anyway. It's also possible that Apple doesn't like cross-platform tools because it removes much of their App Store advantage if the same apps are available to any phone.

12. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

Of course you can write your Xbox 360 games in LISP. It's just that, as far as I know, no one has written a LISP compiler for .NET (or a LISP to C convertor for such types of devlopment).