Friend Sending 2 Powerbook G4s, Help.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WAM2, Jun 4, 2013.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

My friend is sending me two PowerBook G4's to fix and keep.

One doesn't do anything, while the other is intermediate, the intermediate has a damaged power port and a bad hard drive.

He is sending me with them 2 extra hard drives that work, so thats not an issue.

The issue is, its not possible to swap parts from either PowerBook as the intermediate one is the Early 2005 Model, and the one that does nothing is a Mid 2004.

He suspects battery issues with them also.

Either way, what would It take to get at least one of them working? It should not be anything to bad right?

He said the logic board in the 2004 may be bad, but the one in the 2005 is fine, he thinks its just the power port/adapter, as the light will only turn on in certain positions ect.

2. philz4life macrumors member

You can replace the DC in board on the 2005 PowerBook, and that should solve the connecting/power issues. Then just put in the new hard drive and buy a new battery (preferably official Apple) and you should be good to go. With the other PowerBook, you can replace the logic board if you want, but it might be costly. Maybe just use it for parts; some of them, like the casing, RAM, and AirPort card should be interchangeable.