Friend wants to borrow leopard cd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yell0w, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Yell0w macrumors regular

my friend asked to borrow the leopard dvd that came with my macbook pro to install leopard into his macbook which i think has tiger. will he have any issues when installing leopard?

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I think the DVD is different than the retail ones, but I could be wrong..

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Aside from a breach is your end user agreement with Apple. The supplied Leopard disk that's supplied with your MacBook is system specific and would probably not work with any other generation. If your lucky, it'll probably boot and then fail to install.

4. Yell0w thread starter macrumors regular

that's what i thought too, i read somewhere that the leopard dvd that came with my macbook pro is specific to the hardware that i have so i thought he might not be able to use it but i was hoping for another opinion.

edit: anymore comments???

5. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Install disks that come with a Mac are specific to that model of Mac.

Retail install disks can be installed on any Mac available when the retail disk started shipping.

6. Yell0w thread starter macrumors regular

7. oojosheoo macrumors member

Depends on which DVD you have. If its a grey like DVD which says "macbook" OS X install Disk 1 then it will not work because like the other users said it is specified for that specific model. BUT!!! if you received a Leopard "upgrade" DVD then you can use that. Because for my iMac 2.8 extreme it came with OS X Tiger pre-installed but there was an Leopard UPGRADE disk in the box.

Hope this helps.