Friendly Facebook....?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Gix1k, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Is anyone else getting a "netpad" error? I thought it was the free version so I bought the .99 one and get the same error...what gives...it was fine just the other day...

2. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Yea mine too. I deleted and went to re-download, and app store entry mentions that there is an issue and that they have already submitted an update that is pending approval by apple.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I noticed it too. In fact it was kind of the last straw for me, as I've seen some flakiness in this app before. I deleted it, and I won't be looking back.

4. duk macrumors regular

Yep, I'm getting it too... I have to admit, I'm surprised by all the praise this app has received, it is one of, if not the most buggy p.o.s. App I have ever used on an iOS device.

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

The one feature I liked about Friendly was the ability to switch profiles easily.

My wife and I share an iPad that spends most of it's life on the coffee table.

We both have Facebook accounts. It was very easy with Friendly to open the app, select our profile picture and get into our profile (without the need to log in or out or insert passwords).

The developer of this hot mess should be embarrassed by this. Whether it was a problem with their app or something Facebook changed, they have been incredibly slow to fix the problem.

I understand since Saturday they have been saying it would be "hours" until the fix was approved by Apple. Well, it's been hours, and hours, and hours.

At this point, the app should be pulled from the store. It doesn't work, at all. You have people buying the app that are opening it for the first time and it's completely broken, with a fix coming sometime in the "future".

EDIT: Also, all the other Facebook apps seem to have already fixed the problem, so why can't the (formerly) best selling Facebook app get it's crap together?

6. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

7. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Since you already bought this app? Just wait it out, I guess.

There are a few other apps that do the same thing in the app store. Most have free versions you can try.

Or there is the simple method - safari.

8. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

download the regular Facebook app and stick it in a folder somewhere, bury it, but have it so you get notifications if you need that sort of thing.

Then just use Flipboard. Looking forward to FlipBoard with push eventually, but it's the best Facebook viewing app I've ever seen. And 100% free.

9. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I really like Flipboard as well. Really cool look. A great way to sort of browse though the news feed.

10. steleven9 macrumors member

i removed it and have just using the regualr via safari

11. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

I had this problem with Friendly...got fed up...switched to My Pad +

12. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

It was $1.05...No issues switching!

13. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

That's my allowance for the week...

14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Last update I heard on Friendly, is that they are trying to get Apple to approve an updated version (3.5.1) that should fix many of the issues currently reported.

15. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

They posted yesterday they expected it to be a few more days. Icab handles it fine while they get it fixed.

16. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

17. Gix1k, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

About to try flipboard

Edit: Flipboard is far worse than Friendly. I like a dedicated Facebook app.

18. nomik2 macrumors regular

I wouldn't say its 'worse'...its just different.

19. Mitch2742 macrumors member

Friendly is the best Facebook app I have been able to find. Just be patient and a fix will be up in another day or two, I'm sure. For now, just use Facebook's mobile page. It's not that awful.

20. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

This is where I am with it now. I agree about Friendly.

21. Axiem macrumors member

But isn't Friendly now just a wrapper for the mobile site?

Why even bother?

22. jyatch macrumors newbie

Yatch

One of the worst Apps ever put out. I delered it and lost the money. Thney should do some fix.:mad:

23. N23 macrumors regular

Been using MyPad ever since Friendly stopped working.
    The interface takes some adjusting considering its set up like the twitter app, but it's stable for the most part.

Plan on going back to Friendly once it's fixed.
    It was buggy but I think it was the best alternative outside of the browser.

24. JulianL macrumors 65816

I agree. The Friendly developer needs to get the update through the Apple approval process. I believe that there is a way that a developer can request an expedited review by Apple for an update that only addresses a critical bug, and I would guess that the developer has used this mechanism in this case, but I think that even an expedited review can take days rather than weeks so that is probably why we're all still waiting (if we are still waiting - I didn't check the app store today so maybe the update is out now).

The one person in the world losing the most sleep about this right now must surely be the developer of Friendly as the one star reviews mount up and existing customers look at alternatives; I think he has ample motivation to fix it. It'll come.

- Julian

25. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Its funny cause I do this exact thing. I hate having facebook on my ipad since its not optimized. So i hide it away where I cant see it and just pimp it for its notifications and add a profile pic every two months. Use flipboard as well for my facebook needs mostly.

Deleted Friendly about two months ago becasue it was so unstable and I hated how it wasnt INSTANT ON. U have to wait for the bar to load. Decided I was going to try it again today, so I downloaded and guess what happened? netpad error.

I applaud them for feeling in a much needed gap with a beautiful app, but to be so beautiful, it sure acts like an UGLY FAT CHICK.