Friendly for iPad issues?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bbhegedus, Apr 16, 2011.

1. bbhegedus macrumors regular

bbhegedus

I love Friendly for iPad and even bought the full version, but as of yesterday....it starting have lots of issues and I hear a lot of other people are having the same issues. It just signs you in to the mobile site or gives you a black screen. Reboot hasn't fixed mine. Anyone else having problems with this or other facebook for ipad apps?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, lots of problems. Black screen, not working as an app - it just loads touch.facebook.com. Restarting the iPad didn't fix, nor did re-installing the app.

3. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

Mine seems messed up. if I hit the done button it goes to a black screen.

4. bbhegedus thread starter macrumors regular

bbhegedus

thats what happens to me. Their facebook page says they're working to fix it though

5. gadgetmonster macrumors regular

6. zanzi macrumors newbie

Having troubles here too. Hopefully they'll have a fix in place soon.

7. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Omg same thing for me. Only started happening after I updated to the newest software two days ago!

8. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

They updated saying this "UPDATE: We have submitted Friendly 3.5.1, that will fix this "black screen"/netpad issue to Apple. It's going through Apple's approval process."

and just 30 min ago, "UPDATE: Apple agreed to review Friendly 3.5.1 in priority. I'm hoping they will be done in the next few hours. I'll post an update as soon as the fix is available in the App Store."

9. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

Count me in as well. Notifications are extremely old as well... I have the paid version (not that that makes any difference)

10. gswilder macrumors regular

Me Too

Yep, same problems for me. Hope it gets fixed soon.

11. zanzi macrumors newbie

When it's working properly, is the main difference between the paid and free versions the lack of ads? I actually find them unobtrusive so they don't bother me but wonder if there are other benefits I'm missing.

12. miamijim macrumors 6502

WoW I thought it was just me.... I figured I had buggered it....

Phew....

13. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I wonder how it feels as an app developer to have your app go from 5 stars to 2 stars in a few days.

14. nasty devil macrumors member

I was using the free version when I first got my iPad 2 a few days ago, it was fine. But it didn't show new updates even when I refresh. Now it shows a black screen as you said, or the regular facebook.com :confused:

15. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

and all of that just because facebook changes some lines of code, most likely ;)

16. Skika macrumors 68030

17. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I was never a big fan of Friendly, but I can tell you from my experience in the social space that Facebook is notorious for changing crucial parts of the APIs that everyone uses to pull and display information from the app. They make these changes regularly and without warning. Each time it sends hundreds (thousands?) of tech companies into a war against time to adjust their code accordingly before users that don't know any better simply become frustrated and stop using whatever it is that they are experiencing the problems on (and in this case, go on a 1-star rating bonanza).

I understand that Facebook reserves the right to manage their code as they see fit and that notification to developers is probably an impossible proposition since they make changes so regularly. It is just sort of a fact of life for 3rd party devs at this point. Users just need to be educated that you can't always blame the guys who made your app, rather the source of the data they are simply displaying.

18. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

No matter how many people know, there will always be a lot of people who complain and rage. Just look at the paid friendly for ipad, it has 1.5 stars.

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

If the people behind Facebook created an iPad specific version of their app then there would not be such problems. I have the iPhone Facebook app installed on my iPad but rarely use it as it's not optimised for the larger screen. One could argue you can just go to their web site on the net but it's obviously not as practical as having a dedicated app.

20. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I only use apps for chat... everything else I use safari.

21. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Same for me :(

22. Skb3735 macrumors newbie

Yeah I really don't understand the need for this app. Use safari (bug free) and a chat app if you want to message. Simple solution.

23. pdawg macrumors regular

This exactly. Glad to see it's not just me.

24. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Deleted it off the iPad. No need to have a non-working app taking up space.