friend's computer damaged by lightening

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seablue, Dec 28, 2007.

1. seablue macrumors regular

My friend's internet service was out all week. She has the same ISP as me - a local satellite company. They came out and found that it wasn't their equipment. We had a bad storm one day last week with BAD lightening. Apparently, lightening had blown out her internal ethernet port. She's not using a mac -- she has a PC. She also has an external ethernet port so she is using that now and everything is fine.
    My question is... would an APS battery backup have saved that from happening??

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Yeah, an APC UPS (uninterruptible power supply) could have saved that from happening because those UPS' have surge protection. Most include RJ-45 Modem/Fax/DSL/10-100 Base-T protection for data lines.

The main difference between these Battery backups and a regular surge protector is that the battery back up has about 5 - 10 minutes of juice so that you could save whatever you were doing and shut down the computer properly.

At the same time, a regular surge protector with coax and RJ-45 (ethernet) connections would have given the same protection. It just wouldn't give you the 5 - 10 minutes to save up and shutdown your computer.

UPDATE:

As stated below, it also depends on the strike and how close/intense it was. Best is to unplug everything, but a surge protector is also recommended instead of just plugging everything through the wall socket.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, just be glad it was only lightening and her computer wasn't damaged by lightning.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

have a friend who had a similar experience; I think it would all depend on the intensity of the lightning strike. They had an APC UPS on their system but the surge blew right through it and destroyed a computer, a monitor, and a fax machine

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

A UPS might have helped, but it might not have. In the end, it really depends on how direct the strike is. Best protection's to unplug everything.