friend's iPad seems to have SELF ERASED

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DeuxIt, Mar 15, 2011.

1. DeuxIt macrumors member

friends iPad seems to have self erased all files and data. from what she has described, when powered on all she gets is the connect to itunes screen as if it were a new/completely wiped iPad. she wasn't messing around in settings and did not do anything accidental.

this is an original ipad and other than when she first bought it, it she has NEVER hooked it back up to her computer, so... A)there are no backups to restore to and B) it was still operating in iOS 3.x.

could the fact that was still running on 3.x somehow caused a fatal conflict?

any ideas on what has happened or any ideas for recovery??

thx

2. MikieMcBikie macrumors regular

no clue as to what happened.... but no back up means no joy. Best she can do in my opinion is plug it up and see what happens and hope it doesn't think it's a new iPad. Please express to her the importance of backing things up...it kinda makes these moments a non issue. Good luck to her.

3. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Could someone have been screwing around with the iPad without her knowledge? The Settings App has an option to completely wipe an iPad.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ouch. Hate to say it, but without a backup she is totally hosed.

5. ninjadex macrumors 6502

Does she use MobileMe? If so, I'd be a little nervous that it had been remote wiped.

6. DeuxIt thread starter macrumors member

she sent an email an then poof.

I had her do do a hard reset and it would flicker, the password screen would appear for a secon a disappear, though the backlight seemed to stay on.

she did some other made up attempts at hard reset since she didn't understand the instructions and that's when the connect to iTunes message appeared.

I arrived and did a hard reset on my own to the same result. hmmm....

did it a few more times and then... it was normal again.

I'm going to here house tomorrow to do a backup and upgrade her to 4.3.

thanks for the feedback.