Friend's iPhone 5s crashed and won't boot - advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KoolAid-Drink, Sep 17, 2016.

1. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

My friend's iPhone 5s was having some weirdness, such as videos freezing, etc., then one night, out of the blue, it just crashed and wouldn't boot up. I've tried pressing all buttons at once (sound, power, home), going into DFU, and trying to turn it on/off, but nothing worked. Whenever I connect it to iTunes, it says the iPhone is in recovery mode - then when I try exiting DFU mode, it won't work and keeps staying in that loop. I even tried downloading other software that would force exit the iPhone from DFU mode, but it didn't work. She has a Genius bar appointment, but she's frantic about her photos. (No, she didn't back up. Yes, she was stupid not to.)

Any additional advice or tips on how I can try and make her iPhone work again? She did update to iOS 10, but I don't know if the update was related to her iPhone crashing.

Thanks!

2. Gooberton macrumors 65816

3. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

She will be, but right now, the main focus is at least trying to exit DFU mode and to have access to her iPhone so she can get her important data. That's why I made this question, so can someone please provide a helpful, constructive answer?

4. mo0620 macrumors regular

Unfortunately if you take it to Apple, they may not be able to do much except offer to restore the phone, which would lose her data. You may have to take it to a competent third party repair shop, more specifically a place that has the knowledge and expertise with mocrosoldering, in case the phone needs logic board repair. We see this a lot at our shop, and Apple may not be able to offer a whole lot as far as data recovery.

Was your friend's phone getting very hot? Was it dropped hard recently?

5. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll ask her and report back.

However, why is it unable to exit DFU mode, and is there any way at all her photos can be restored? (I'm definitely talking to her about backing up moving forward.)

6. mo0620 macrumors regular

Do you know if she was able to successfully update to iOS 10, or did this start happening as the phone was updating?

7. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

She was successfully able to update it to iOS 10, and it ran fine on 10 for a couple of days then crashed.

8. geekguy123 macrumors member

Try and force reboot. Press and hold the lock/sleep button and the home button for about 10-15 seconds until the phone reboots.

9. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

Update: about 48 hours, her 5s turned itself back on and seems to be working okay. She's backing up right now, and looking into getting a 7.

My suspicion is that the iPhone somehow overheated and, as it's old/worn out, took longer than normal to cool off.