Friends Problem

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furious, May 18, 2007.

1. furious macrumors 65816

furious

I had to drive to Byron Bay today. Therefore, I invited a friend so the drive would be more fun. We could make an adventure out of it. I called her and left a message at 9am and I sent a text as well. By 9:30am, she had not got back to me so I left. At 11am, she called me to tell me she could not make it (she was working). When I told her I had already left, she got annoyed. Now why was she angry? She could not make it and I was satisfied she was not able to make it. I was not annoyed she took so long to get back to me considering she was at home and not busy at the time. If she is working, she starts at 10am.

Bonus Problem. Why do my guy friends think you need to go out on a weekend and stay out until 1am as a minimum? If I am bored, I am going to leave before that time. Now they do not talk to me. I grew up in an Irish Catholic/ Polish Jewish family. It taught me not to screw my friends I fell like I am being screwed because I can and able to think for myself. I do not accept what the majority agree with.

Sometimes i wonder why I make friends with people at all. I wish my dog was still around. :(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't fully understand the first problem. It just sounds like a break in communication that'll probably be forgotten tomorrow.

As for the second problem, I find this happens all the time. Friends grow apart. True friends also grow apart but usually end up being friends again later on. If they're wanting to go out all the time and you're not, then it's probably time to make some new friends. That's not to say you should fall out with your current ones, it's just that your lifestyles aren't really similar enough at the moment. These things happen.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Oddly both problems are the same problem. They feel that you are putting other things ahead of them. The girl took your invitation as you wanting to spend time with her and she feels like you blew her off and that the trip was more important than she was. You should have given her a time that you had to hear back by and then given her a bit more time after that. Likewise with the friends, its not important to them where they are but that they are together.

/Young enough to know better
    //Too old to care.

4. furious thread starter macrumors 65816

furious

I did want to spend time with her. And what you said is profound. See Byron Bay is about six hours drive. I knew she was at home so I assumed that half an hour was long enough to get the message. But yes I get what you are saying. I need to be patient.

The reason I get bored with going out with my guy friends is they go to the same bar/pub every weekend. In this bar are the same girls. I mention other bars in the area nobody takes any notice. I wish my friends form high school were still around. We use to have some random adventures. :D One time when got lost 4WD and it took use 2 days to find our way out. It was the best experience. A little like Robinson Crusoe and Lord of the Flies. How we found our way out is we met some vagrants who lived in shanties and hunted. Next time we went up that way the shacks were empty.

5. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Perhaps you have to phrase it in a way that appeal to them more. Something straight to the point, like "fresh new ass". (The obscenity filter kept me from using the word I would have preferred, but you get the idea)