friend's PSN account got hacked

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wywern209, Jan 31, 2010.

1. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

So my friend's psn account got hacked 2 times by the same person. Apparently, he threatens to hack any other accounts my friend creates. Can i go to the authorities with this?
    isn't hacking a computer against the law?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

Who exactly would i contact? i don't think the police directly are the best to handle this. Any specific body of authority?

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

You need to get in touch with PS customer service - they'll look up IP and the EI number of the PS machine to verify that it's being hacked. They'll ban the guy's account and machine that's hacking it.
    Police authorities will do nothing except maybe make a report of it.
    Also, your friend needs to secure his computers/accounts/and internet line.

EDIT: Here's the number from the EULA
    8. REPORTING ABUSE

To report violations of these Terms of Service call SCEA Consumer Services at 1-800-345-7669 or use the moderation tools that may be available on the Site where the conduct is occurring.

5. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

Well, officially, this is his second account that was hacked. i am hoping that they will take more decisive action since a second account my friend created was hacked. not to mention the fact that the hacker sent him a message through PSN saying that he will hack his newest account in 5 months.

6. article008 macrumors newbie

I agree with you.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Tell your friend to choose a more secure password. I can pretty much guarantee you that's how the "hacker" is getting in.

8. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

Well, he has had several new accounts, and his passwords are all jumbled letters n numbers. at least his second one. i told him to make a new account and format his ps3 so that he could have a new master account because i think the hacker got the master account and was able to compromise all of his other accounts. Anyways, sony said that they will "get back" to him later and i hope they ban the hacker's ps3 and IP.