Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruceleroy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Don't know it works with computer as well haven't tried it yet just giving a heads up...no were near the quality of FaceTime tho

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Cool. Just downloaded it. Apparently apple has no problems with other developers using video calling programs :)

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
just tested it with a friend, its ok certainly not facetime quality but at least you can do it over 3g. I'm very surprised apple approved this.

SDNikki

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
video works to computer. just tried via skype account via fring. only tried wifi though...

SDNikki

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Where is the video calling option?

All I have is Cellular, SkypeOut and SIP....no video calling.

???

if i'm logged into my skype account and i click on one of my contacts, there are 3 options/icons: one looks like chat, one is a phone, and one is a video camera icon. i chose the video cam icon.

mqguitar

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
so when i call video chat to my laptop from my iphone 4.

On the computer i just see their front camera its really laggy. adn they can not see my video from macbook. amd doesnt show up on my ip4 for me to see them

all this done over wifi

kr00k322

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I just had a video chat with a friend on his laptop. It took around 45 seconds for the video to come through and then after that it worked just fine. A tad choppy but it was still cool to do.

SDNikki

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
does anyone know if this works with other messaging accounts that support video (i.e. google, yahoo)?

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
Really laggy...I think it's the app. I've seen fring video calling done with 2 Evo's and saw the same thing...wait for Skype?

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Ya, the app's not very user friendly. And it's ugly as all *******.

I already deleted it after figuring it out but my friend didn't wanna register with his phone number on his end, so I didn't test it. And from peoples' reaction to the app on these forums, it sounds like I'm not missing much.

Here's hoping Skype gets theirs up and running soon :D

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
i'm i an idiot? I can't get it to register a new account on fring. It doesn't work for me. any ideas? I get a message saying, this user ID already exists. I'm sure the 20 I have tried are not taken. A couple times i have typed in random numbers and letters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.