Fring showing badged messages while running in background?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HyQuality, Dec 8, 2008.

1. HyQuality macrumors regular

I know that push notification isn't available yet, and that most IM apps don't have the push code in their apps yet, but somehow I just got a badge show up on my Fring app.

I always have Fring running in the background (using Backgrounder) with Skype and AIM connected. I received 4 messages while I was looking at my iphone home screen and a "4" badge showed up on my Fring app! I also had a smiley face icon on the top of my menu bar next to the battery indicator (from Status Notifier) to indicate a received IM message... which I have never seen before either.

This never happened before with Fring, and I couldn't reproduce it again after that one time... weird!! Anyone else experience this, or know how to make it work all the time?

2. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

3. HyQuality thread starter macrumors regular

No it isn't... Fring never shows a badge. It only showed a badge that one time. I thought that Fring doesn't have the badge/push code in it yet.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

badging has nothing to do with push code. it just applies an application badge of the number of unread messages. if you use fring on an standard iphone (i.e. not jailbroken), get new messages, do not read them, then quit the app, you'll get a badge on the icon with that number. don't all of the IM apps other than AIM do that? adding an application badge is a documented one-liner. many, many apps use it for many things, it has nothing to do with push. weather apps use it for alerts, to-do apps use it for how many items still left in your list, etc.

5. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

why don't you create another AIM screen name, run Fring in background and send your self a message from a computer see if it show the badges :rolleyes:

6. rolfen macrumors newbie

Me too

I have the same problem. I never actually saw the badged messages. Did you resolve it?