Fringing Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevebook, Oct 6, 2008.

1. stevebook macrumors member

I'm trying to get fring set up and all I'm getting is a request timed out when I'm attempting login. This is happening on a school network. Is there a specific port that fring uses or is it not just regular web traffic on the login.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I had this issue as well. I ended up removing the application from my iphone and reinstalling it. When I went to login for the first time again, it took forever but eventually connected.

3. stevebook thread starter macrumors member

Hmm....I'll try that right now and see.
    Problem is, once you get a request timed out and you close the app and go back in then it "logs in" to the main interface but it won't actually log on to the fring servers. Then it's just stuck trying to connect.

This is really annoying!

4. stevebook thread starter macrumors member

Tried that out but I still haven't been able to get past the request timed out.
    Anyone else have this problem and get around it?

5. scrogers macrumors newbie

I just found this thread and would LOVE to solve this issue also. I have the same problem on my campus' network with fring. I have also tried the uninstall and reinstall. Weird thing is, I get the same thing for AIM on my iPhone (also tried the uninstall/reinstall). I can get both fring and AIM to login under Edge, but as soon as I switch to WIFI, nothing, fring times out, and AIM says "I need a network connection...."

To top it off, AIM, Skype and all sorts of things work FINE when using my Macbook Pro on the same wireless network. It really seems to be localized to my iPhone, but plenty of apps work fine using the WIFI on the phone too (Safari, Shazam, etc).

Are there specific ports that fring needs to login? I have also searched all over and can't find any good specific info on what fring is really "doing" on the connection side.

Anything would be awesome!

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

7. scrogers macrumors newbie

Yeah, I had seen that post too. I really think its a port issue because I know for a fact we are not "singling out" fring on our network. I started a thread over on the fring forums bringing up this issue and attempting to get any more information about what ports/connections fring uses to login etc. I have been searching all over and I really can't seem to find much about what fring is really doing to make that initial connection. I will update if I get anywhere, but for now I'm just trying to get enough info to start really troubleshooting the connection.