From 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard on a Macbook Pro (Late 2007)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Angelowaslike, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Angelowaslike macrumors newbie

i just got my MBP back from apple couple of days ago with a fresh install of 10.5.0. With all the updates the software version went up to 10.5.8 assuming this is the last update as far as OS goes. but my real question is 1.what are the chances my video card will fail again? and 2. Is the MPB late 2007 capable of running snow leopard and the future OS X Lion? any response would be helpful. Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Angelowaslike thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response :) but i was looking at the repair manifest and i noticed the put in a Rev 2 MLB. i don't know exactly whats the difference from the stock that came with.

4. JamesCotte macrumors newbie

JamesCotte

I have the same question 1. I have Leopard for now, and I wonder if I can upgrade straight to Lion or not, because I dont want to double pay for both Snow Leopard and Lion as well.

5. Angelowaslike thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think so you need snow leopard because the only way to get lion is through snow leopard which the only is that offers it is snow leopard

6. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Suppressed that they did not just give you SL when they fixed it. When my sisters got fixed the guy asked me if it was all right if he put SL and the latest version of iWork on it.

7. Angelowaslike thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah that's what I was thinking too but I guess they had to install the version that came with the MBP. Now I got to go buy the SL them install it. As far as running the OS, it brings me back to my second question will my hardware be able to run the OS lion?

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You got lucky - they normally don't offer to do free upgrades to software.

To the OP:
    1. Your videocard may fail again - but, what can you do? Just use it.
    2. Yes, your Mac will run Snow Leopard fine. It made my mid-2007 MacBook Pro run a lot faster than Leopard. I personally would just use Snow Leopard until Lion has been out for a couple months (so Apple can fix bugs after it's released).

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes
    Yes and Yes.

10. Angelowaslike thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank you guys for the replies now I can take this MBP for what it is and save for a 2012 MBP :)

11. JamesCotte macrumors newbie

JamesCotte

So I have to pay for both of them at once? Expensive tho, I'd just stay with Leopard then, there is nothing wrong with it anyway.

12. buckyballs macrumors regular

I assume it's one with a GPU which was not from the faulty batch

13. Angelowaslike thread starter macrumors newbie

I see :) that's what my IT at work told me too but still hoping for the GPU to fail 2 more times for me to get a replacement. So I bought the computer sep 2007 which means that I have until sep 2011 until the warranty is over so what will happen after that period will they charge me for a new logic board or do it free of charge ?