From 11" MBA to 15" rMBP, any experiences?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by needlz, Oct 27, 2012.

1. needlz macrumors member

Hi there,

since the 13" rMBP was a disappointment in my opinion, I bought a 15" rMBP (i7 2.6, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD) and it's quite a pleasure to work with the machine.

The only downside is that it "feels" so huge after owning a 11" MBA for quite some time.

I really wanted to make this move because of the power I need for work (software development, usage of virtualization). Unfortunately his machine feels a lot less portable (I travel every day about ~1-2h by train and love to use my notebook during that time).

Also I've noticed that when working on my 11" MBA at a customers office, no one would care, but when opening a 15" MBP people seem to look like "WTF is he doing here".

Does anyone share the same experiences? Did you get used to your 15" rMBP or did you return it for something smaller?

Cheers

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

well I use a 11" Air and it would be really hard for me to give it up. I am writing this with the laptop in my lap at a car wash. The form factor is unmatched and has all the power I personally would ever need. 11/8/i7/256

3. shah1, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

shah1 macrumors member

Two different machines. I am too coming from a MBA late 2010 and will be taking delivery of a base rMBP 15inch. Was there a reason that you bought such a powerful machine with the configuration you have which meant you have leave a much smaller machine in the 11inch?

I decided to go with the base model as this will be more than enough for my usage and tbh, I'd like to sell when the a newer/update is released next year. That said, if I find that the 15 inch is way too big compared to my current 13inch then I will be making use of the 14 day grace period and returning the machine for a full refund and will just wait for an update for the Air.

4. rmwebs macrumors 68040

I've just moved from a 2011 11" MBA to the 15" rMBP and love it. At first it was like 'Woah I forgot how big this thing was...maybe I should have gone with the 13" instead", but I'm finding myself a lot more productive with the larger screen. I've also got it hooked up to two 1920x1080 screens and it runs all three screens perfectly.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I sold my 11" MacBook Air a couple months ago thinking I would be ok without a laptop for school and just using my iMac and iPad. I turned out to be wrong so I am selling my iMac and ordered a 15" rMBP that way I don't lose the power of the iMac when I need it.

I'm sure it'll take a little while to get used to the size again, especially after really getting used to tiny portables. Of course, the two machines are very different, so the 15" can't be used as if it was a 11". I'll have to see how my experience is with this size change when I receive mine next week.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So buy both. Leave the big one at home, travel with the portable.

I don't know how u guys walk around with those 15" and bigger Ten Commandment (I call them) tablets. :eek:

7. willjbryan macrumors newbie

I've never really gotten used to the 15" size. My ideal computer would be a MacBook Air w/ retina display, but since that doesn't exist I'll replace this one with the 13" mbpr.

8. needlz thread starter macrumors member

I still haven't decided yet. Used the 15" a lot over the weekend and really got used to the size. It's still not great for travelling, but working with the machine is a dream. Tough decision!

Someone asked why I need the 15": computing power for development and RAM for virtualization (my MBA has only 4GB).

9. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I just received my 15" rMBP last night. Coming from a 2010 11" MBA that I've used as my main machine for two years, I'm in a similar situation. I was waiting for the 13" rMBP, but the lack of a discrete GPU killed it for me.

The weight isn't really a big deal for me. While it's double the weight of my MBA, that still is only 1kg (2.2lbs) which really isn't much. Basically carrying my iPad and 11" MBA is the same weight as carrying the 15" rMBP. It was more the form factor that I was worried about, as the footprint is much bigger than the MBA.

My use is generally at my desk at home and my desk at work, and today was the first time I took it with me on my commute on the trains. Luckily it fit in the same small and slim bag I use for my MBA, and the weight difference was fine. I'm not sure yet how that extra 1kg weight difference will feel after traveling around the city for meetings throughout the day, but I'm not expecting it to be a problem, and lately such days are fewer.

It's definitely not as portable as the 11" MBA, but it is the most portable 15" computer I've ever used. I needed the extra power and I think that it's a tradeoff I'm willing to take, though I'm going to keep the MBA around for a bit until I'm completely sure. After using it for a few hours though, it's already hard to imagine going back to the Air as my main daily computer.

So far no regrets, but will give it a few weeks to see how it goes. Keep us updated on how it went for you, I'm also curious how other 11" -> 15" users are feeling.

10. needlz thread starter macrumors member

I decided to keep the rMBP and the 11" MBA, just in case I need it for it's mobility.

Since almost one week now, I haven't touched the MBA. Travelling is fine with the rMBP, once you get used to it (especially the footprint which you've mentioned, it was a weird feeling at the beginning to take out the rMBP, put it on my lap and work with it).

Everything else is still brilliant, the screen, work power and the ~5-7h battery.

11. PosterNutbag. macrumors newbie

That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing, except in reverse. I'm going to buy an 11" MBA for computing on the go, leaving my 15 rMBP at home as the desktop.

Its lighter, smaller, more discrete as you point out, will work on an airplane/train better, and its less money tied up into something that is more prone to thefts and accidents.

If I need something from the rMBP on the go, it's only a quick IPSEC/VNC connection away...

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Same here, I've just bought a base 64GB 11" for doing stuff on the go, 15" stays at home. It's a great machine, but the 15" is just not a small enough size to pick up and go anywhere with. The 11" is that machine.