From 15" to 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stangs55, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I'm just curious who's previously made the switch from a MBP 15" to 17"?

I've loved my 2007 15" MBP, but the lack of screen real estate is certainly the most obvious weakness. I do alot of FCP, premiere pro and photoshop, so I cringe when I have to move from my 2560x1600 desktop to the 15" MBP.

Because of this, I've made the switch and placed an order for a 17" i7...but I'm not without my doubts as I still have time to cancel. I'm just curious who has done they same and what their experience has been like. From the specs, it seems that it's about a pound heavier and just under an inch deeper and wider...which doesn't seem that much on paper. But how does that translate in the real world? At home, I almost exclusively use my Win7 desktop and 20" monitor...so the 17" MBP still needs to have some level of portability. It seems from the pictures that the 15" has a wider black bezel than the 17"--again, leading me to think that the sizes aren't that much different.

A big hangup for me used to be the fact that 17" seemed to big to comfortably take on flights...but my hopes are that my 3g iPad will resolve those needs.

Thoughts?

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I made the switch. I still kept my original 15" MBP, but I was finding out that it's screen res didn't offer enough space for me to do my work. The 17" MBP is so much better that way. If you travel frequently, then the 15" MBP is a better choice. I'm also hoping that the iPad is going to resolve some of the issues experienced with a laptop on the plane.

3. spooky69 macrumors member

I got the 15" standard resolution i7 yesterday - took it back and got the 17" anti-glare today (didn't realise it was anti-glare until I got it home as I didn't ask for anti-glare). REALLY pleased with it - lucky accident with the matte screen and much prefer the larger size screen with higher definition. Easy to notice it is bigger but it is not overly large and the weight is not much more.

4. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

if your not sure what to do, just meet in the middle and get a hi res 15 in. its the best compromise between the two

5. hockey9999 macrumors member

Were you charged a restocking fee? I am thinking about trying to do the same thing in the morning...

6. tim100 macrumors 65816

i have had both 15 and 17. i find the 17 too big for a a portable. its hard to use ut away from a desk. also the text is very small. any how i am posting this on an ipad.

7. spooky69 macrumors member